Monday, November 11, 2013

Remembrance Day / Thank you to our Vets!

Today I'm super duper thankful to our vets, near and far, for our freedom and the sacrifices they have made.  All of our vets, both those currently serving and in the past, deserve our utmost respect and thanks regardless of views on war, politics, & military action.

I wish I had pictures of my grandfather and Mom's uncles to share here but for now these ones of my Dad and my Uncle Johnny will do.

I can't get over the resemblance to my little brother here.  Countless times I have seen this smirk on Patrick's face.  Hehe.

My Dad looks so proud and happy in his uniform in this picture!

I think this was when we lived in Ohio...or was it Delaware?  How handsome my Dad was both in and out of uniform!  The other night, friends and I were chit chatting about childhood memories of our parents and what came to mind for me is how I loved to try to hold all of my Dad's fingers in my hands, which seemed impossible due to how big they were compared to mine.  One of my favorite childhood memories is how I would hold on to his finger (preferably his thumb) instead of his whole hand as you can see in this photo.  Ah to be small and not have a care in the world other than trying to grasp all of your Daddy's fingers in your tiny hands again!  I'm so lucky my father was spared and able to serve and be home with us unlike so many other young children who had to grow up without a parent...
This is a familiar hat; nine times out of ten Dad will have it perched on his head and I automatically think of him when I see other vets out and about wearing theirs.  This is one of my favorite pictures snapped on Father's Day in a quaint little mountain town we love to visit back home called Jim Thorpe.  We had just done a historical tour in the Asa Packer Mansion and were about to make our way back down the mountain to the square and train station when we snapped this photo.

Most recent picture from a visit to NC in Sept. 2013 ~ I'm so lucky to see my parents as often as I do (at least once every 6-8 weeks) while down here in NC.  I pray that this can continue when I land a job for next year...where oh where will I be though?!

Look at Uncle Johnny..he appears to be on a mission!  :)
Thank you from the bottom of our hearts to all veterans, their families, and all who served in any shape, fashion, or form.


I know this video above I'm going to play for you is not related to US military but it contains one of my all time favorite singers and the message is the same regardless of country.  Let's all take a moment of remembrance and thank a vet not just today but every day!!!






P.S. --- Just learned this tidbit of info. thanks to a friend's status on Fb that she found on another Catholic blog post.  I couldn't say it any better than she so I hope she doesn't mind I put it here for you all to read as well.  Pax!

Veterans Day is an annual United States holiday honoring military veterans. In other countries, the day is celebrated as Armistice Day. It recalls the ending of World War I at the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month of 1918 with the German signing of the Armistice.

However, there is a deeper, Catholic meaning to November 11. This day is the feast of Saint Martin (c. 316 – 397) – that godly hermit and bishop who had once been a soldier. Martin laid down the sword in order to live a life of peace and penance under the gentle yoke of Jesus Christ. St Martin is Europe’s chief example of the transition from soldier to saint; from war to peace.

Traditionally, November 11 had previously served as a day of signing peace treaties in honor of Saint Martin. Thus, it was fitting to end Europe’s Great War on this same day – the festival of Saint Martin of Tours. Saint Martin is the ultimate veteran – a veteran from Christ.

Saint Martin, patron of peace, pray for us.

Thank you to those who are/were willing to risk their lives for our nation's safety.

Thank you to those who champion for peace so that lives do not have to be put in harms way.

No comments:

Post a Comment