Friday, September 12, 2014

Just like the Energizer Bunny, the 3MT just keeps on giving and giving and giving...!

Thank goodness it is Friday.  What a looooong week this was!  I feel as if I've hit a wall; surely it's much too early in the semester to feel this way!  The novelty of the new semester has worn off already, we've completed the first exam in half of the classes, and I'm enjoying being back in a regular routine.  On the one hand, the days are going by quickly with not being able to get everything done within each 24 hour segment yet on the other hand, the weeks seem to be draaaaggggiiiinnnngggg on forever...which brings me back to my first sentence.  I'm SO happy it is Friday again.  I've no place to be until Sunday morning when I head to church which means I can slow down a bit, get caught up on things around the house, try to tackle my to-do list that is a mile long and even squeeze in a bit of blogging.  I kind of want to go out to the kitchen and open a bottle of wine but will refrain.  I have a feeling if I sipped some of that yummy goodness, I might end up relaxing so much that I would fall asleep!

So, instead, I opted to read my students' responses to the three minute video I showed them in class this afternoon.  The other day, at the end of class, a student asked me what I had done my dissertation research on...this question came one day after I discovered the news that the research will be published very soon!  So, I decided to share with them the video from last fall's 3 minutes speech competition.  If you don't remember that task, click here to learn more about it.  This video was instrumental in Adam's & my initial conversations by the way!!  :)

Before showing the video during class today I instructed my students to write down a takeaway point for their future teaching (of Science and Social Studies) and have listed them below so I can always remember this snapshot in time of these young soon to be teachers and their ideas of what their futures will look like.  At the conclusion of the video, half of the class applauded!  I certainly wasn't expecting that to happen.  To think that nearly a year ago I was working long hours on creating this speech...I would never have imagined that I would use it the following year in one of my classes.  How blessed am I to have a job in which I can carry out my teaching, research, AND faith in this way!!  Some of the written student responses were really sweet and others made me think of things I hadn't before considered.  I'm so incredibly fortunate to be working at this fine institution with students who so obviously care and have a passion for our faith as well as making a difference as a teacher.  Somebody pinch me please!


  • People's environments (community, family, home, friends) influence the way they respond to different types of atmospheres.  Therefore, I can expect my future students to be more/less responsive depending on how they react in different situations.
  • I thought it was really interesting that how someone identified themselves has a lot to do with the setting they are in.  This makes me want to assure my students are in a setting in which they can be the best versions of themselves.
  • From Dr. K's presentation I found that my takeaway point was on the communication.  With children having different types of disabilities it can be difficult to communicate and be social with peers and teachers.  I find it to be a mission for me to have all my students be able to understand no matter what it takes.
  • Applying this to science instruction I could use interviews to conduct a study.  I will need to understand how students with disabilities may view themselves and how their identity can be influenced.  I will want to try to foster an environment that will lead to a positive self-identity.
  • As a teacher someday, I want to give my students equal attention.  So many times during my early experience I have noticed teachers who favor one student over another.  By using the approach that causes a person to love before they teach, they can treat not only their students equally but everyone they encounter equally.  That will be important throughout one's whole life.
  • Interactions with others, setting/context, and life experiences all play a role in the identity of students, and how they view themselves is very important.  It is good to take their perceptions of themselves into consideration instead of just "judging the book by its cover" from the start.  This is so important for all teachers to know because every student is a unique individual with his/her own story, and they all deserve to be given the opportunity to learn and grow into the most full versions of themselves.  Also, being open-minded in your perceptions of students allows them to be more open to learning!
  • Identity is fluid.  Student may choose a different identity according to a certain setting.  A teacher should not assume that a child is well off and has an easy time socializing and making friends simply because they do well in the classroom.
  • Identity changes according to settings, life experiences, and people's perceptions, etc.  I think this is something teachers should be wary of in their classrooms.  Each student has a different background that should be respected and the learning environment should be conducive to all students' learning.
  • Identity changes with environment and social interactions.  Students need to feel comfortable with who they are and not feel as if they are out of place.  If the teacher understands better where the student is they can better be facilitators of knowledge.
  • As a teacher, you must always be aware that a student's identity is largely formed in the classroom.  Be careful in how you judge/shape your students.
  • I think it is important to realize that people may view themselves one way, but their caregiver may have a different view.  It is important to realize that students may see themselves differently, either positively or negatively.  Do not judge a book by its cover.
  • The way we define both ourselves, our students, and the way our students define themselves greatly affects their ability to learn.  We should not judge a book by its cover and we should not let students' disabilities define them.
  • The point about judging a book by its cover is so applicable, especially when teaching.  It's important in social studies classrooms to look past social and cultural stereotypes and norms and go deeper.  This goes for perception of students as well as instruction of backgrounds.
  • A student's interactions, life experiences, and settings have a lot to do with how a student will perform academically.  This can tie into their life even further when they have any kind of physical or mental disability.
  • It is important that as a future teacher, I should realize that children have their own personal identities.  With this fact in mind, it is important to foster their individuality and creativeness so that they know they are special and one of a kind.
  • Using a multicultural book-I would have students make assumptions "judging a book by its cover" and then have the students read and reflect on what changed now that they have read the story.
  • Identity can change depending on the setting.  We must be aware of how we perceive students because they may view themselves differently.




No comments:

Post a Comment