Thursday, July 28, 2016

Meals as a Mrs. ~ Baked Dorito-Crusted Chicken

I had such high hopes for this Baked Dorito-Crusted Chicken recipe.  I love Doritos but try to not eat them too often since they aren't the most healthy snack.  So I figured if I'm going to mix this snack up with chicken, surely this will be a hit!!

Eh, not so much.  The dish itself was okay but the Doritos weren't as crunchy as I would have liked and the flavor wasn't as powerful as I thought it would be.  Perhaps it would have been stronger with the Cool Ranch flavor rather than the Nacho Cheese flavor.  It was fun trying this recipe and smashing up the chips for it though.  If I were to make this one again I might not make the chips as crumbly and maybe use whole or partially broken pieces to try to increase the crunchiness factor. 



I forgot to take an after picture just before we ate but you get the idea!

Recently, we were given a sweet gift from a friend that contained some scriptures/verses so thought I would share some of them in the upcoming Meals as a Mrs. postings.  I don't know about you but I could use a reminder here and there about what really matters especially when it comes to relationships and love. 

James 1:17:  Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers:  all good giving and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no alteration or shadow caused by change. 

As a wife, and now mother, sometimes I can fall prey to self doubt and negative talk that I'm not perfect enough or doing enough to please or satisfy everyone whether it be in the home or outside the house.  This scripture reminds me to not deceive myself or let myself be deceived into believing lies or falling helpless to negative talk.  I hope to keep my eye on the prize and to be grateful for all that I've been given through Adam, Charlotte, and our little pups and to also strive to be a positive gift to them.  

It is through God that our story is being written and what a treasured gift they all are in my life...even if I'm cleaning up after Hershey indoors for the second time in a 24 hour period, if Dusty is barking too loudly from the back porch just seconds after being put outside, or if no matter what I do, I can't get Charlotte to stop crying (sometimes she just needs to let it out..hmm...we might be more alike than I realized!  ;P  ), and when I lose my patience with something not being done the way I thought it would be done or at all....these are all still gifts and how blessed am I to receive them within our domestic church?!  

I also need to be more cognizant of the gifts I give to others.  Am I doing a chore or a task with love?  Am I giving from the depths of my soul or am I resentful over what I need to give or do in the moment?  This, in turn, reminds me of a saying soon to be St. Mother Theresa is credited with saying about being holy within the home and family.  Sometimes we have grand ideas of how we can change the world and the impact we can have on others that involve major changes and big plans but sometimes the most lasting effects or impactful events can occur right under your own roof in your own home with those you interact with daily going back to the domestic church reference I made earlier in this writing.  

The last part of the scripture about no alteration or shadow causing change throws me for a loop tonight though.  On the one hand, shouldn't we all seek to grow and improve to be better gifts to one another?  On the other hand, if it's true and from the Lord, it will be constant and never changing so I suppose it depends on the perspective.  What do you make of this scripture about perfect gifts, both those you give and receive, being of the Lord?

No comments:

Post a Comment