Sunday, July 15, 2018

Holding on..

I saw this quote the other day and it got me thinking about the connections we have.


Connections to others...to both strangers and familiar folks. Connections to what we dream or plan for ourselves. Connections to our families whether biological or those we create for ourselves. Connections to our vocations and work we do both inside and outside the home. We all envision our future whether it be in thinking of what we do today, in the next ten minutes, or if we map out the next decade.

Throughout these past couple weeks of summer I have been responding to emails from advisees looking to confirm fall schedules, change to education majors, and/or needing to talk about career goals for after graduating. Each conversation with a student who is trying to map out every single class of his or her college career and where he or she plans to teach after leaving the university reminds me of how I was in planning out each little detail of my life.

Yet, at the drop of a hat, things change. Life is unpredictable but I am so grateful for connections that remain or form as a result. Some connections fade while others grow stronger but God has you. He will never abandon you.  If you are struggling or feeling lonely, reach out as He never tires of extending his hand out to you.

Yes, life is so very different from how I envisioned it. I am married to someone from the opposite side of the country. Half our families are on either coast of the US. My business man of a husband is pursuing a career in education. We have one precious daughter instead of the six or more children we had dreamt of per Adam's old license plate (that is a story for another day). I spend my days teaching college students more so than school aged students.

There are still some days I can't wrap my head around the fact that I am not still nannying my niece/nephews or teaching children in the summers but even though life looks different from how it did in the past, it is so beautiful by the grace of God. I am a walking contradiction sometimes. I am filled with joy each time I see this precious and full of personality child. My heart exploded a little when I saw her smiling back at her Dad against this amazing view when hiking at the beach the other day.


Yes, this sweetie pie has brightened our lives so much but the truth is, I am also drifting and feel tossed and turned about in the ocean at times. There are days when I have all I need in how life has turned out (which is huge progress from shortly after Charlotte's birth) but then during other days I find myself holding on to old dreams or plans. The above quote and trying to truly stay in the moment rather than sinking into the sorrow is helping me to move ever so closer to truly embracing all that comes with the life that is waiting for me, sorrows, pain, and all. No one gets through life without experiencing these things but with the help of connections and God, I am thankful for the graces and opportunities to grow and to seek and hold on to the joy that is all around us... How about you? Are there ways in which you can Just Open Yourself to receive the love of our Father today?

I know I posted a similar picture of my niece and me a few years back...it is amazing how much connections, and God working though others or these opportunities, can help us along the journey. Thanks be to God for my husband, daughter, and other family for lifting me up when I fall. 


No comments:

Post a Comment