Sunday, November 10, 2019

How do I follow my friends' lives going where I can't follow...?

This past week, I learned of four separate friends' pregnancies. One is even having twins! That means five beautiful babies are growing and being formed in their mothers' wombs at this very moment.  Hearing of all these blessings and seeing the excitement and joy on their mothers' faces reminds me of the first days of pregnancy with Charlotte which brings me joy as I share in the exciting news...then the sadness swirls all around again as my broken heart and the reality of my broken-ness reappear.

How do I follow my friends' lives going where I can't follow...literally and figuratively? While others are excitedly counting down to due dates that will soon become birthdays and the child or children are transforming into becoming big siblings, in my mind's eye, I look at us and see us on a separate path---our family's path.

Charlotte is oblivious to it all, telling us the color of the sky with glee and that she wants to hide in the clouds like the airplane we watched from the car did this morning. Adam is cheerful and content with little Charlotte perched on his shoulders as he engages in the silly talk with our daughter.

Yet, when I look at myself in this image, I am trudging along slowly shuffling my feet. I want to walk with a bounce in my step like I used to but feel as if I am in a fog and so very heavy and weighed down with it all. Last week, I was reminded of the importance of standing in the gap or facing this hardship head on and not numbing or dulling the pain. In theory this all sounds so cathartic and healing--but it is overwhelming to have so many opportunities to have to face these feelings of being broken and feeling "not enough" in this aspect of my life as of late. I can already feel myself wanting to succomb to the default of isolating or staying away from these situations/triggers but then I would never be able to leave the house so something has to give.

I saw a billboard tonight that said, "Fight your fears faithfully" that made me so angry. The billboard was advertising the hospital where Charlotte was born and, if I am being honest, where I blame the story turning out the way it has. I had faith in the hospital. I trusted the doctor. I believed God would provide. 3.5 years later, I am trying to increase my faith in embracing the path I am on even though I so badly want to follow the path I had always envisioned and see so many others on my preferred path each day yet it's forbidden to me. I see a locked gate barring my entry and it's so incredibly lonely on this path but I have to trust that God has me on this one instead. Otherwise, what is the point? So what do I do? I either try to move so fast, with my head buried in all the work that needs done so that I can't slow down and see what I am missing or I can barely put one foot in front of the other as I try to catch up to Adam and Charlotte and keep from being dead weight holding them back...

I could use prayers tonight, please.  I have also been drawing strength from the Holy Family this past semester. I have been pondering how Joseph and Mary faithfully lived out their vocation of family even though it was created and formed in such a different way than they envisioned! Did they, too, have plans of bringing many children into the world? Did they have any sets of multiples on either side and hope that one day they might have twins, triplets, or more one day??

What I do know is Joseph and Mary demonstrated and modeled a selfless love that had Jesus at the center. Please pray that I can turn my eyes back to the path meant for me/my family and to look at it with acceptance rather than anger, to view the broken parts of me with compassion rather than feelings of comparison, and to grow in unabashed joy and decrease in jealousy allowing for more room for God to fill the void and cracks.

1 comment:

  1. Dearest Meg, I am praying for you tobight. For rest and some relief. For your heart. Love and a big hug Meg

    ReplyDelete