Wednesday, September 26, 2012

When You Love Someone...

I posted this status on my Facebook page this morning before heading out for the day.  I had seen the quote on my friend's wall.


"If I could do the last decade over again, I'd say: waste far less time on boys until you're looking for a life partner, and then deliberately carve serious time from your already-thriving career to find and bond with a worthy gentleman. Be so clear about what you want that 95% of men run away, making it much easier to find those who want what you do." ~ Jennifer Dziura 

Ah, thinking back to all those boys...and all that wasted time. Take it from me...it's better to be
 single and happy than to be with someone who doesn't value you for what you're worth and not be happy. Good things come to those who wait and in God's time. ♥




Even with today being super busy with meetings, teaching, and going to class, I couldn't help but reflect on some of the men I've dated in the past.  From the Jewish math teacher to the firefighter to the atheist, (or was he agnostic?), to the elusive boy from college to the not quite divorced non date (!!) with the newly single young dad to the tattooed still living at home guy to the sportswriter in Pittsburgh to the banker to the cowboy to the super tall motorcycle riding twin to the party boy "player" and others, it's pretty safe to say that I've dated every type you could think of....and I'm okay with that.  It was through dating all these different kinds of men that I for sure now know what it is I hope to find in a true partner some day.  I've made more than my fair share of mistakes when it comes to love but through forgiveness have been blessed to experience some healing graces since returning to Confession in January 2007 after 5 years of not going.  
 










When I was going through an unexpected breakup with an ex-boyfriend, I remember my best friend's mother telling me to go home and be with my parents when she dropped my best friend off at my apartment 2 hours after the relationship ended (Ashley had broken her ankle at the time and couldn't drive).  I'll never forget the sight of her hobbling up the apartment steps crutches, black garbage bag of overnight belongings, Ravens purple cast and all just because I needed her.  When my "Mom in York" went to leave after dropping off Ashley, she urged me to go home the next night after my housewarming party. 



 
The next night, I followed the advice and went home.  While there, my Mom and I watched the
CMA Awards Show when this song came on...I haven't heard this song in 5 years but oh goodness, how I can remember the raw pain and uncontrollable tears that poured down my Mom's and my faces that November night but I can honestly say that I am so grateful for the experience now.  Having gone through such pain makes me realize that there is something better out there for me (and for him).  Ironically, I stumbled upon this song when trying to find, "When You Love Someone", by Bryan Adams from the Hope Floats movie, to go with the title of this blog posting.  It's funny how things turn out as the last person I expected to think about tonight was the boy from 2007!  However, along with thoughts of him, comes the reassurance that I was not the one for him...and that I have some awesome family & friends (and puppy) who will always be by my side even when I love someone like that. 







So, while at times, it may seem like there is a - .05% of guys available, I believe that if it's God's will, then in time, the one I'm meant for will find his way to me.  He just better keep up seeing as I've lived in 14 different places...soon to be 15 depending on where I find myself heading in Spring 2014!








No comments:

Post a Comment