Monday, November 20, 2017

November Challenge Day 11 - 20

Day 11:  This will sound silly but today I'm happy to have blankets especially the created with love quilts I recently was reunited with that my aunt made for me as a baby.  I had accidentally left the two quilts behind in North Carolina and feared that they were lost forever.  Fortunately, my sister-in-law had packed them up and brought them to PA when they moved into their new home where they were waiting for me when I visited this past September.  I'm thankful for the warmth the quilts provide as the days grow colder and also for the meaning behind them.  Tonight, I went to a surprise baby shower where each person created a quilt square that will be put together in one big quilt to welcome baby Thomas to the world.  What a sentimental gift!!  We also received a couple baby blankets for Charlotte before she was born that we have placed throughout the house.  When I see these blankets made with love, I feel all warm inside as well as outside as they bring heat and warmth.  I'm thankful for those who share their gifts and talents in this way!

Day 12:  My puppies make me smile every day.  Dusty is about to turn 11 next month and it pains me to see his back legs failing him the way they have been lately but he's still the same four month old pup in my mind.  Hershey knows no limits to his boundless energy!  They are always excited to greet us when we come home and lovingly tolerate Charlotte's antics as she is more mobile and loves to throw herself down on them.


Day 13:  After a particularly long day, I could barely stay awake in the chapel during my semi-monthly Adoration hour.  Our little town has three perpetual adoration chapels (that I'm aware of) and it's amazing the number of people who go to holy hour on a regular basis.  These folks challenge me to keep striving to grow in my faith and prayer life and for that I'm grateful.

Day 14: I loooove my Tuesdays and Thursdays away from campus during the school year.  Having this time with the baby is so needed.  I'm so grateful for the kind of job that allows me to make a difference through my job and to be there for my family the way it does.
Isn't my office so cozy?! 

Day 15:  This morning, I participated in an exciting meeting at work.  I'm thankful for the opportunity to be a part of something new and big at work and am excited for the future students that this change will affect (both at the higher ed. level and school-aged children)!!

Day 16:  I'm thankful for my hard working and studious husband.  He is working so hard to meet his goal of becoming a high school history teacher and has had his head buried in the books as he writes end of the semester papers and works on projects.  I look forward to his being able to enjoy some down time over Christmas Break!

Day 17:  Tonight, on a whim, a friend and I were able to take in a musical, "Merry Christmas George Bailey!", that was being performed at work.  Through the kindness and generosity of a colleague, my friend and I were able to obtain tickets to the sold-out show at no cost!  This play is a radio play and the coolest thing about the performance is that it will be broadcast on EWTN over the upcoming holiday season!!

Day 18:  Charlotte and I joined a friend at our local junior high school's production of Mulan, Jr. - a musical adaptation of the Disney film.  Charlotte was fascinated by the singing, props, and action on stage for the first 45 minutes of the show.  Sitting in the auditorium brought back the many long hours of play rehearsal as a student.  How lovely it is to have the arts to escape to when a breather from life and crazy schedules is needed!
Day 19:  This afternoon we held this month's Good Godly Grub.  The gathering of women is different each month as is the theme of the food we bring but I'm thankful for the community and relationship building that occurs with these friends.  Even with life being so busy, we take the time to visit with one another during this monthly potluck and share inspirational stories and events.  I'm thankful for the gift of friendship and food through this monthly get together!
Charlotte Annie fell asleep in mid gesture on Ann's lap! 
Nothing like cuddling on a snowy Sunday afternoon with a sweet friend! 


Day 20:  The dogs woke me early this morning.  At first, I was irritable and grouchy that Dusty Shamrock just had to get me up so early but then when I walked out to the living room and got a peek of the beautiful orange sun that was peeking over the horizon, all of the irritability melted away...I was glad that my little pooch had needed to go outside so that I could sit in the silence and brilliance of that rising sun.  What beauty and splendor surrounds us but how often do we miss it by keeping our eyes shut or downward...may we all embrace our surroundings and look up more often as the holiday seasons approaches!


No comments:

Post a Comment