Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Help a brother out no?

I want to introduce you to someone.  He is funny, tall, charming, funny, smart, adored by his nieces and nephews, and did I mention funny? 

He is the kind of guy who drives from Delaware to Ohio after a long half day of work just to be there for me during one of the darkest times in my life to date.  His sense of humor and personality, in addition to my twin's presence and the support of my parents, helped Adam and me to transition from the hospital to home with itty bitty Charlotte during those first few days post op and amidst the shock of everything that had occurred over the last four days.

Proudly holding his goddaughter during her "first" time at school - - it was his idea to go there on the first day we were home from the hospital...lol!

Patrick is the youngest in our family but made his presence known from the start.  I remember, as a little girl, asking my mom why my baby brother was so loud and how Mom and Dad reveled in the fact that he loved to sleep in as a child compared to his older siblings who were up at the crack of dawn.  In high school, I recall teen girls fussing over my kid brother and shaking my head wondering what was so charming about the little rascal. As a high school student, Patrick excelled at each sport he played.  He is often the winner nowadays when we play board games.  Later, as he and I were the single ones once my twin and older brother married their wives, he and I were able to do fun day trips and vacations together as we shared a mutual love for a band he introduced me to called Dawes.  Now that we live a couple states away from each other with differing schedules, social media and texting are what keep us connected.

Patrick is fiercely loyal and also researches everything he does whether it be buying a new toaster oven, planning an appreciation day for a girlfriend (he's very romantic!), or picking out fun gifts for the kiddos in his life.





This is why it was no surprise to hear that an upcoming hike he plans to do will benefit others.  Learning that he was planning to hike the Appalachian Trail in the first place was unexpected news and since I found out on April 1st, I thought it was an April Fool's joke.  However, we then learned that he had been researching this adventure and got it cleared at work that he could take a six month sabbatical to hike this trail.  I so admire my little brother for his determination and dedication to this feat but when I learned of his plans to raise funds to help wounded veterans and their caregivers, my admiration rose to a whole new level.  Yes, I will worry myself sick the whole six months he will be out in the wilderness praying that he won't twist an ankle, get bitten by a snake, encounter a bear, or worse.  However, what a beautiful opportunity for him to experience God's glorious artistry through nature and to have an experience of a lifetime!  The fact that he was able to raise so much money for charity on top of this is phenomenal!  He is still shy of his goal so if you feel called to help or give in any way, please consider doing so.

Here is a link with more information.  In any event, prayers will be happily accepted as he plans to start the hike in March and wrap up in September!!

No comments:

Post a Comment