Monday, March 24, 2014

100 Days

Those of you who know me well know that I inevitably have a countdown going at any given point in time. 

For instance, 19 weeks until I get to go back to California.

Mom, Dad, & Dusty Shamrock will be here in 3 days!  Yay!!

Two more paychecks until no more incoming money....eek!

A mere 46 days remain until graduation weekend is upon us.

Some may take this as I'm always wishing away my time or looking ahead to the future rather than relishing the moment at hand or being fully present in the here and now.  I beg to differ; I've learned over the last couple years being down here in the South that while a small part of these beliefs about me may be true, they're not 100% accurate.  I feel I've improved in "living in the moment" but the planner inside will always have an eye on what is coming up on the calendar.  Rather than try to stifle this feature about me, I've come to embrace it and use that character trait as a strength through attempting to keep myself organized so I can be prepared and meet deadlines as a result, through sharing the organizational strategies/tips (can we say color coded calendars?), am able to find better deals for said future plans (long live Groupon & LivingSocial vouchers!), and even serving on committees at church/work that utilize this aspect of me in a positive way.  Having said that, I also could stand to improve with flexibility and spontaneity and know that planning is not for everyone.

Soooo, when I stumbled upon this challenge that combined numbers, counting, and being still so as to truly appreciate the present moments...well, I couldn't resist. 

Yesterday, during the gloomy rainy day we experienced, I was feeling a bit down...which is absurd considering I have much to be thankful for as I move toward the future.  Yet, a part of me is terrified and uneasy with all the changes that are about come my way.  I could shrug these feelings off and blame the weather or say I'm feeling so unsettled because there are so many unknowns right now or attribute all to the fact that I don't necessarily care for change but rather than try to find a reason why, a label, or an excuse, I would rather focus on other things that will help to lift the funk.  This "100 Happy Days" project sounds like it could be very uplifting and just the thing. 

Hmm, 100 days from now will be....July 2, 2014. 

By then, I could be living wherever I'm going next or I could still be in NC babysitting or I could be completely ready for Fall 2014 or I could be freaking out over all that is headed my way in the upcoming months or.........well, no one can say for sure but what I do know is that God will provide and through His grace, the support and love of family & friends, along with hard work, I will be fine even if I have a hard time remembering all of this during stressful times.

So what is this "100 Happy Days" project?  You can find out more here but basically this challenge focuses the participant to look at the positive and find at least one thing that makes him or her happy each day for 100 days in a row and share that thing through a photo.  71% of folks who tried this cited lack of time as the main reason why they could not finish this challenge.  This happy days challenge reminds me of the Thanksgiving Thankful challenges I like to do in November and the Grateful Challenge I did last May but the 100 day in a row concept intrigues me.  Let's do this!

Day 1:  With longer days, spring here, and warmer weather on the way, nature currently makes me happy.  I especially love seeing green and purple mixed together and of course different hues of blue always make my heart happy regardless of the season.


 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment