Saturday, October 10, 2015

We sure got around last year!

I didn't realize how much traveling we did last year into the summer until Adam excitedly and quite incredulously exclaimed toward the end of the summer, "We don't have any trips lined up this month!"  I just took for granted that one travels to go places and explore...even the background on this blog is of an open highway waiting to be traveled.

Hearing that comment from Adam though stopped me in my tracks for with each turn of the calendar page, I had my sights set on what there was to look forward to that month with nary a glance at where we had been as I was turned toward the future.  But Adam was right.  Ever since driving cross country last December, just in time for New Year's Eve with some of my niece and nephews at my parents' home, we had traveled to a new state each month (for Adam and some for me) ever since December all the way through to August.  All traveling halted when August arrived due to the return of school/work for me probably much to my husband's relief!

Counting the cross country trip from California to Pennsylvania (literally from Adam's parents' home to my parents' house), through the start of the 2015-2016 school year, we sure got around and covered a lot of ground!!  Our first stop in late December as we drove east was Albuquerque, NM followed by Oklahoma City and Arcadia in Olkahoma, then we continued on to Memphis, Tennessee.  New Year's Eve in Schuylkill County, Pennsylvania was Adam's second time at home for he had already been there the previous October (in addition to York, Harrisburg, Lancaster, and Gettysburg:  we'll call that his southcentral and northeaster PA tour for the Engaged Encounter Weekend..haha!).

In January we got Adam settled in the new house in Steubenville, Ohio and also spent time in Pittsburgh, PA.  Our February trip allowed us to explore freezing cold St. Louis, MO just before Valentine's Day and the following month's trip put us in sunny humid New Orleans, Louisiana in March.  In April, to finish up our Pre-Cana counseling with our priest, we flew up to Boston, Massachusetts and even squeezed in some time at Cape Cod (a place I hadn't been to since right after high school)!  May found us back in northeastern PA as well as York for the wedding followed by a surprise honeymoon trip to Williamsburg and Virginia Beach, Virginia.  In June, we enjoyed a day trip to Cleveland, Ohio and our last trip of the summer occurred in July when we spontaneously traveled to Chicago and Naperville, Illinois with a quick dinner stop in South Bend, Indiana down the road from Notre Dame.  Whew!!!

Considering I don't have any conferences lined up for early 2016, I doubt we will travel much in the winter months so it will be nice to stay a bit more local and learn more about where we currently are through quick day trips I hope.  We are also very much looking forward to our Christmas trip to California as it has been far too long since we saw our family out there!!  Soon it will be five months since we all celebrated together at the wedding.  I suppose family has been on my mind a lot lately as I've had dreams in which both halves of the family are always present in the dreams.  They have been so vivid the last few months that I wake up confused as to what was real and what was a dream.  In fact, on Friday morning, I was thoroughly confused when I awoke from a particular dream.  In it, Adam and I were happily mingling and talking with our family members, immediate and extended alike.  I remember as he and I rotated and socialized, we would catch each other's eye from wherever we were in the room.  All of a sudden, the function we were at must have ended, for folks started saying goodbye to one another and parting ways.  Toward the end of the dream, I recall turning around and being surprised when Adam was there with his arms open for a big bear hug.  I gave him one and then turned to go, reaching for his hand.  He pulled back and began saying goodbye.  This confused me as I thought we were leaving together.  He gently reminded me that we would see each other soon and that all would be okay.  With a sinking feeling, I realized that he was saying goodbye as were other family members because we were not departing together.  He was still residing in California and I was still living in North Carolina in my dream!  I remember exclaiming, "Wait, we don't have to say goodbye to each other anymore!  We say goodbye to others now" and glancing down at my left hand to see just the engagement ring was on my ring finger rather than the wedding band I was accustomed to wearing.  In my dream, we weren't married yet, we were still living long distance, and were not going to travel home together as I had expected.  It was then that I awoke and felt such a profound sense of sadness at the thought of not being with Adam.  Rubbing the sleep from my eyes, I rolled over, and saw my husband sound asleep next to me which caused a flood of relief and happiness to pour over me.  Ah, it was all just a dream!!!  We really are each other's travel partners, best friends, and partners for life....thank God!

Speaking of which, I mentioned to Adam just now, "Compared to all the traveling from last year,
2016 is going to pale in comparison" to which he couldn't say fast enough, "I hope so!"  Ah, yes, we're still working on finding that happy medium that will satisfy my eager to see new things/go new places ways and his let's stay home and relax nature.  ; )


No comments:

Post a Comment