Friday, July 5, 2019

#welovesha


Many folks have asked what this past semester abroad was like…it’s so hard to think of one word that would summarize all that happened while teaching and living in Austria. 
The one word that I think attempts to capture the experience is “full”.

Being a resident of Gaming, Austria while working in my university’s study abroad program, was quite different from living in Ohio.  We traded in our red brick home on a hill for a one floor apartment that was housed in an old monastery with snow piled almost as high as us out the front door.  The practice was to leave a window open for at least a half hour a day no matter how cold it is and no screens inhabited the windows.  Charlotte called the apartment her “castle” due to the high vaulted ceilings and wooden doors that added to the charm of where we called home from January through May.  As we spent a day in early January flying to Austria, I thought we were flying toward a semester that would consist of “just” teaching and one during which I would not engage in as much scholarship or service.
 
However, the way the semester turned out ended up being very different from what I expected.  A lot of opportunities presented themselves in all three aspects of my job (e.g., teaching, scholarship, and service) and putting it that way feels like an understatement!

Another unexpected blessing of living in Austria this past semester is the beautiful friendships with the women experienced there.  Through the start and growth of these relationships, I was challenged, accepted, loved, able to love, and completely blessed by all that occurred through the conversations and thoughts shared in the relationships.  One such individual I got to know while living on the study abroad campus was the female resident director who oversees the RAs and students in the dorms. 
Sha is unlike any other person I have met.  She is delightful.  She is real.  She is “tell it as it is” and is wise.  She has faced hard times and difficulties in her past.  She is a support if you are walking through a valley in your own life.  She has overcome.  She is struggling.  She is healing.  She is a fighter.  However, I didn’t know these things about Sha when I first met her.  Here is how I recall that first day of meeting Sha.  I had been invited to her birthday party as one of the women of the Kartause.  I remember wondering if it might be awkward that I be there that night given that I had only been a part of the community for a few days by that point.  However, I also remember feeling excited to interact and mingle with the women as I had been in touch with them via email prior to my arrival and had already met some of them in the first few days. 

However, Sha was someone I had not met or interacted with…yet.  That all changed the morning of her birthday party night though.  I attended an all staff/faculty meeting and who sat next to me but none other than this Sha person I had been hearing about via the email invite to her birthday celebration!  I introduced myself to her but there was no time for small talk as the meeting was about to begin.  As we made introductions and got down to business, I recall being impressed by Sha’s passion for what she does via the discussion and questions that came up about student care and the needs of the university.  At some point, during the meeting, when we had a small break, Sha leaned over and commented on my Charlotte and birthstone rings, which was touching for her to notice that small detail about my jewelry.  Once the meeting ended, we were all swept up in conversations as we departed the meeting space but I remember leaving and feeling more excited than nervous about the women’s gathering planned for that evening since I had felt so at ease around Sha and didn’t feel as if I would be intruding.

Fast forward to her birthday celebration that night, where I met many of the other women from the community for the first time; it was time to honor the birthday guest.  Courtney suggested we go around the room and share one word that described Sha as we spoke of the impact she had on our lives.  I really enjoyed getting to know Sha, and the other women, better in this way!  It reminded me of previous retreats I had gone on and allowed me to observe firsthand the close-knitness (is this a word??) and care everyone had for one another.  I really appreciated being able to start my own relationships with these women and to be a small part of this community and continued to feel appreciation for this throughout the whole semester.  It is one of the things I miss the most being back in Ohio - - the close friendships with the other women in Gaming really touched me and I would love to further cultivate those bonds with others here as well.

Somehow, by the end of the night, Sha and I ended up being the last ones to leave Courtney’s house.  As we said goodbye to our gracious hostess, I told Sha (after having only interacted with her for a few hours at that point) that she reminded me of the word, “effervescent”, and even now after having gotten to know her over the last semester, I still think this is a good word for Sha.  Merriam-Webster defines this adjective as:

effervescent
ef·​fer·​ves·​cent | \ ˌe-fər-ˈve-sᵊnt  \
Definition of effervescent
1having the property of forming bubbles marked by or producing effervescencean effervescent beverageeffervescent saltsan effervescent tablet
2marked by or expressing an appealingly lively quality an effervescent person/personalitya song with an effervescent melodyShe was a marvel with the press: fresh, direct, effervescent.— Bruce Anderson Conditions being as they were at Brinkley Court … I hadn't expected the evening meal to be particularly effervescent. Nor was it. Silent. Sombre. The whole thing more than a bit like Christmas dinner on Devil's Island.— P. G. Wodehouse

Even after having gotten to know Sha beyond that first work meeting and her birthday party, I stand by this description.  Sha has an appealingly lively quality even when talking about the hard subjects or engaging in a serious topic of conversation.  She spills over wisdom and strength without trying.  The passion and life within her for what she believes in and advocates for has a way of rising to the surface and bubbling over to impact others.  She coordinated an Easter Egg hung for the children of the Kartause, advocated for rights of others, and helped those around her to face insecurities or overwhelming feelings through her counseling/therapist background.  She helped me take a long dreamt about trip to Venice by taking me under her wing and navigating the city of waterways together!

Charlotte also grew to love Sha while we were living abroad.  Too many times to count, she would call out, "SHHHHAAAAA!!!" when seeing her out and about in the courtyard, running down the hallway of the monastery walls to show her a toy, or when seeing her in the pew across from us at mass.  Sha always lit up when she saw our daughter and welcomed her with open arms.  She didn't hide her emotions and her beauty shone through even when crying as sharing a profound thought or revelation.  Don't tell anyone, but I especially enjoyed our walks back to the Kartause after our Book Study nights because we would be able to continue some conversations one-on-one during the three minute walk back to our respective homes as I picked her brain on some other topic or comment made earlier in the evening in the group setting.  Our girls' getaway to Venice was extra special because of the laughs shared ("It's hailing!"), lessons learned (life is too short to drink something you don't like and guard your water taxi ticket with your life), there are time you just gotta take charge ("Make sure Dr. Reister is on the bus!"), and I'll never forget all the inspiring moments (both ordinary and extraordinary) shared with this beautiful sweet friend who is full of life and spirit.  Always ready to serve others, through her words and actions, Sha was the person ready to hold a child, was the one ready to help clean, could spark others into action, or could just sit and be a listening ear when needed.  

This is why when I said goodbye to Sha on May 20th, I did so happily knowing I would see her in a month or so, since she was scheduled to be in Ohio for a visit this summer!  I knew that while I wouldn't benefit from being around her all the time as I had been accustomed to, that I would see her in the not so distant future!  I hugged her knowing it was just a “See you later” instead of a final goodbye.  

However, you guys, in the weeks between then and now, we learned some shocking news about Sha’s health and I wasn’t able to see her again so soon as planned.  In spite of running, dancing, playing soccer, grabbing life and living it - - I mean realllly living it! - - and living every second of life with the friends and colleagues she had made during the past couple years in Austria, she was recently diagnosed with Stage 3 Ovarian Cancer.  What????  Sha is young.  Sha is full of life - - bubbling over with it.  Sha is such a gift to others.  Sha has faced so much in her life and her past and now this?  Why is this happening???  

We don't have the answers and only God knows why she is facing this but what we do know is Sha’s life has been turned upside down at the flip of a coin.  She is currently awaiting treatment in Houston, TX.  No one knows what lies ahead and it’s a scary time for her and those of us who love her. 

However, what we CAN do is pray and keep Sha in our thoughts at all times - - let’s try to wrap her up and lift her as she has inspired and lifted so many by her presence.  If you feel so inclined, you can view this Gofundme page that has been set up to assist Sha with her medical expenses in the upcoming months but, really, prayers are so so so needed.  Prayers to help Sha face this battle that lies before her, to help her know how loved and appreciated she truly is, and to help her to rise up this seemingly unclimbable mountain.  She has asked for space and time to process all this news and information so I’m throwing in there requests for prayers of assuredness and clarity on her part.  Jesus, we trust in you.  Lord, please provide Sha the graces and strength needed to fight this fight.  Provide the medical team with wisdom in helping Sha come up with the treatment plan needed to tackle this.  Allow Sha freedom from the torment, doubts, insecurities, and anything else that may be holding her back from peace at this difficult time.

I was already so incredibly thankful for the Spring 2019 semester in Austria but am now extra grateful for it due to the people I met and the graces that resulted from these encounters.  

Sha, in particular, has helped me to face some scary things in regard to trying to heal from recent wounds, and I pray she receives the same support/blessings in her new surroundings as she seeks to find her way in a new place away from familiar comforts.  God is unchanging and everywhere..may she feel His presence and light during the extra dark days ahead…thanks for reading, friends, and please please please pray.


Sha offered to hang back and cuddle this baby while Mom had to run a quick errand on  Easter Sunday.  This is an example of Sha's selfless love for her friends and even those she doesn't know so well....she quietly stayed back to console a baby and provide a Mom with some grace to get something done while others scurried about and went on with their days.  

My friend the world wanderer!  

"That's you & Sha!" - - said Charlotte when peering over my shoulder and looking at the Venice pictures with me.  This was taken during our fun tourist day of island hopping (we learned the reason these houses are different colors in Burano is because the fishermen, after a long day of work, would be tired and needed color coded houses to know which ones they belonged to)...let's be those color coded houses for Sha sending up prayers and supporting her in any way we can so that she sees and feels the vibrancy of life amidst these dark days. #welovesha

No comments:

Post a Comment