Friday, November 30, 2012

Novemberisms (part 1)

November is one of my favorite months and Thanksgiving is my absolute favorite holiday.  I decided on November 1st to try to think of at least 1 thing I was grateful for each day and post on Facebook.  I must say that blessings have rained down me since keeping track of them over the past 30 days.  Just in the last week alone, this was evident from receiving a thoughtful text from a former co-worker letting me know my presence in my old schools was still missed to current students' emails thanking me for the guidance and instruction I provided as their professor this past semester to a "shout out" on a radio station in California, I was blessed beyond measure.  Let's all try to be thankful not just during this holiday season but all throughout the year!



November 1:  Today is the first day of one of my favorite months leading up to my favorite holiday. In honor of November and Thanksgiving, I will be posting a status relating to what/whom I'm thankful for each day of November. Who's on board with me? :) November 1st: I appreciate all the support my mentors give me in the education world. I wouldn't be where I am today if it weren't for Dr. Mary V. Compton, Lynne, Dr. Diane Klein, Ms. Bednar, and of course my first teachers of Mom and Dad, for not giving up on & believing in me.

November 2nd: Today I'm thankful for having a car that takes me on adventures. Recently someone asked why I drive so much/take so many trips and my answer was that it might have something to do with the fact that I didn't get a car until I was 20. Until then, my transportation consisted of borrowing vehicles, specifically the 1984 Astro family van. Once I had my own car, I was off and running..going to NJ (or trying to) for the weekend to visit Martin, seeing Monika in Bath, and of course driving back and forth to IUP, Pittsburgh, and the beach for school & fun times with friends, right Billie ?! This perspective only intensified after my car was totaled on the way to Texas in Summer 2011 when I had to get my "new" car unexpectedly...nowadays a trip usually means I'm going home to visit with Ashley or my parents. I'm already counting down to December when I get to go home for the holidays!

November 3rd: Today has traditionally not been a good day for me but I'm grateful that on 11/03/12 I have a roof over my head, food, water, and dry land around me. There is a large tree in the front yard along the driveway that reminds me every day about Super Storm Sandy since it fell down during the storm (away from the driveway) even though I didn't see 1 drop of rain while in Minneapolis, Minnesota earlier this week. My immediate family experienced some of the destructive winds & rain but are out of harm's way while friends back home did not fare as well. I'm struck by the love and strength pouring out of those who have given the shirts off their backs and traveled great lengths to share generators, basic toiletries, food, etc. For those of us far from Sandy's path of destruction, let us offer up prayers to those affected by the super storm!

November 4th: Last night, at mass, they sang, "Companions on the Journey", one of my favs. Then, I saw this on youtube. Today, I'm grateful for all my companions on the journey as we all get by with a little help from our friends!

Here are the lyrics to the song from church last night:
Companions on the journey

Refrain:
We are companions on the journey,
Breaking Bread and sharing life;
And in the love we bear is the hope we share
for we believe in the love of our God,
We believe in the love of our God.

No longer strangers to each other,
No longer strangers in God’s House;
We are fed and we are nourished
by the strength of those who care,
By the strength of those who care.

We have been gifted each other,
And we are called by the Word of the Lord:
To act with justice, to love tenderly
And to walk humbly with our God,
To walk humbly with our God.
Refrain:

We will seek and we shall find;
We will knock and the door will be opened;
We will ask and it shall be given
For we believe in the love of our God,
We believe in the love of our God.

We are made for the glory of our God,
For service in the name of Jesus,
To walk side by side with hope in our Hearts,
For we believe in the love of our God,
We believe in the love of our God.

This is a Very Inspirational video of a Runner Named Derek Redmond who seriously Injured himself during an Olympic Race. Despite the Agonising Pain and Disto...

November 5th: I'm grateful for unexpected friendships today. 9 years ago, in my first year of teaching in York County, I met Heather, when I "stole" her caseload at YCST. Who would have thought that today, I would be friends with her cousin, Jackie, and living in NC ?!?! We had an awesome afternoon yesterday checking out 2 wineries in the Burlington area. If I hadn't taken the LIU job in PA back in 2003, I probably wouldn't have the fun friend in Greensboro I have today in 2012. Funny how life works!!


November 6th: This morning, while standing in line at Food Lion, the customer behind me commented that I must be having a party. I said, "No, just trying to bribe my students". ;) He said, "I thought all the schools were out today" to which I replied, "Not at the college". He then proceeded to say what a good professor I must be to buy 4 different kinds of M&Ms for them at 7:30am & thanked me for "what I do". He didn't know that I forgot to remind the student who's turn it was to provide snack this afternoon...hehe. I'm thankful for all those who go out and do the best they can do in their chosen professions..you help to make the world a better place. I'm also thankful to cheerful customers in the grocery store who can brighten your day with a compliment. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment