Sunday, February 16, 2014

Snow, Surprises, & Smiles

Last week was filled with snow, surprises, & smiles.  It started on Monday night when the package I sent to Adam arrived earlier than expected so we wound up opening our "treats" to each other four days earlier which was fine with me because why should folks save kindness and surprises for just one day? 
 
Personally, I would rather celebrate every day or randomly rather than only doing these sorts of things on February 14th.  Having worked in retail for many years, including Hallmark, too many times for my liking we had to create displays and push products waaaaay before the actual holiday.  I'm talking Christmas ornaments in July, prepping the story for Valentine's Day a week after Christmas, and decorating for Halloween right after school started in August.  Sounds crazy I know but that's how it was in the business.  I admit, as a planner, I'm guilty of looking ahead rather than living in the moment at times but hopefully I have gotten better at this during my time down here in the South.  Case in point, as much as I'm looking forward to graduation in 82 days, I have NO clue where I will be heading the next day so might as well embrace the present and take each day as it comes right?  Anyhow, last night, at mass, I was reassured to hear not one but TWO of my favorite songs back to back halfway through the service.  First, during the Offertory, we heard, "Make Me a Channel of Your Peace" which is a song based on the teachings of St. Francis of Assisi followed by "Be Not Afraid" during Communion.  I was surprised to hear the beginning strains of "Be Not Afraid" since it had not been listed on the board of page numbers at the front of the church.  I had been expecting a completely different song but was glad to hear this familiar tune at that moment; especially since I have two job interviews in the next couple weeks.  I am so thankful for this "Godincidence" as the comforting lyrics of the two songs (particularly the second one) were much needed and are helping me as I start these next few weeks and think ahead of the packing and prepping I need to do for the upcoming business trips.
 

So, back to last Monday night---I could barely contain my giddy excitement when Adam told me he received his surprise package and suggested he open it right then and there.  He said he would do so only if I opened my mini bag of Lucky Charms and eat them as he opened his box.  The Lucky Charms had been sent to me as a gag gift, or so I thought, several days earlier in response to my dissertation defense.  Since I had incorporated rainbows into my presentation, and snacks I served, Adam had jokingly said I should buy Lucky Charms and pull out all the rainbow marshmallows to serve to my committee.  So, when he sent me the mini bag of Lucky Charms the other week, I thought it was his way of sending me an edible laugh.  The little pink note on the bag saying to wait until Valentine's Day to eat the treat was a cute finishing touch.
 
So, on Monday night when talking with Adam and after having eaten dinner with my family just moments before, I said I was too full and there was no way I could eat one more thing.  I thought it strange how insistent he was that I eat this yummy cereal so late at night on a full belly.  Finally, I relented thinking I would eat a few bites as I sipped my wine that was left over from dinner because I really wanted him to open his box.  Yes, I still struggle with patience sometimes.  ;)
 
So, I slowly tore the corner of the Lucky Charms bag and was surprised (and confused) when I saw a small bag resting on top of the charm and marshmallow cereal. My first thought was how did this get in the cereal package since the bag had been sealed?  I didn't see Adam beaming on the screen of my laptop watching as I tried to connect the dots.  I didn't notice the tiny slit on the bag that had been concealed by a small pink origami bow he had strategically placed there.  I didn't realize until I opened the small green bag that it contained a beautiful new charm that was for my bracelet!
 
What a beautiful charm it was!  Adam had selected the claddagh remembering the Irish ring given to me by my parents a few years ago that I wear and that he "turned around" last month.  If you're not familiar with the story of the claddagh ring, you can read it below (taken from Wikipedia):

The Claddagh's distinctive design features two hands clasping a heart, and usually surmounted by a crown. The elements of this symbol are often said to correspond to the qualities of love (the heart), friendship (the hands), and loyalty (the crown). Claddagh rings, with (more commonly than not) or without the crown, are relatively popular among the Irish and those of Irish heritage, such as Irish Americans, as culture symbols and/or as symbols of engagement, marriage, or love.

Claddagh rings are often used as friendship rings but are most commonly used as engagement/wedding rings. Mothers also give these rings to daughters when they come of age. When the hands that hold the heart are angled towards the girl, that means she is taken, when the heart faces out, the girl is single. This has become common largely due to the sentimental motto: "This is my heart which I give to you crowned with my love." Also associated with the ring is this wish: "Let love and friendship reign."  In Ireland, the United States, and other places, the Claddagh is handed down mother-to-eldest daughter or grandmother-to-granddaughter.  According to Irish author Colin Murphy, the way in which a Claddagh ring was worn with the intention of conveying the wearer's relationship status:
  1. On the right hand with the point of the heart toward the fingertips, the wearer is single and may be looking for love. (This is most commonly the case when a young woman has first received the ring from a relative, unless she is already engaged.)
  2. On the right hand with the point of the heart toward the wrist, the wearer is in a relationship. (This suggests that the wearer's heart has been "captured".)
  3. On the left hand with the point of the heart toward the fingertips, the wearer is engaged.
  4. On the left hand with the point of the heart toward the wrist, the wearer is married.


My bracelet has been rapidly expanding as of late thanks to the generous gifts of what I'm calling the "dissertation charm" from my little brother and the wine lovers charm from a dear friend in PA. 

I love looking at this bracelet and recalling the memories associated with each charm from my best friends from college (and my 2nd Mom) giving me the initial charms and bracelet itself to the charms I have picked up along the way on travels for work over the years.

These are the most recently added charms that have come from Delaware, Gettysburg (PA), California, and Hanover (PA).

 
Don't worry, even though we celebrated earlier this week, I did receive a Valentine later on in the week courtesy of my sweet niece, Mason, and from other family members.  Even better, my parents were here this past weekend!!  <3 
 


 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment