Sunday, August 24, 2014

Posting the Postives

Lately, with all the sad news we're been hearing and seeing in our world these days (e.g., the beheading of James Foley, Robin Williams' suicide, trying to find a new normal amidst so much change, and well, you could fill in the blank)....some days feel like one is standing in quicksand and sinking further and further into the darkness.

So, in an effort to behave myself out of the funk, I'm revisiting the Positivity Challenge I completed on facebook a few weeks ago here.  Here's to happy thoughts as I remind myself of the five days when I had to list 3 positive things that happened each day and nominate others to do the same.

I love the shadows in this picture!
Day 1 of positivity challenge:
1.) Had a relaxing picnic lunch with Marci and Adam that consisted of yummy carne asada tacos and pretty white bark trees.
2.) Slow but steady progress was made on dissertation manuscript revisions... Page 1 of the eight page revisions table is done so far... Yes!
3.) With many thanks to Tim, Wendy, and family we had a wonderfully fun evening of photo taking and merriment at dinner.


Day 2 of positivity challenge:
1.) Had a great time with old and new friends when we enjoyed desserts and drinks in downtown San Diego. My cheeks hurt from the laughing.
2.) Got to pet a 14 month old French Bulldog named Zoey on the way back to the car. Dogs are the best.
3.) Love the grounds here where the conference is being held especially near the garden cottages... Sooo quaint and gorgeous!


Day 3 of Positivity Challenge:
1.) Have been thoroughly enjoying seeing everyone at the National Catholic Singles Conference. It is neat seeing familiar faces from last year while also meeting new friends.
2.) Was able to go to confession today which was pretty healing. Thank goodness for the members of the religious community who dedicate their lives to their vocations.
3.) Am loving this time with Adam. It will be hard to say goodbye again but for the next few days am going to soak up every glorious minute. 
 
Day 4 of Positivity Challenge:
1.) Now that the NCSC 2014 is completed, I'm feeling the nerves regarding the upcoming school year. However, I'm trying to remember anytime you start something new, it will be scary and challenging and am focusing on the positive that I have a job....and am so thankful for it!!
2.) What a FANTASTIC time with Marci the last few days. Feeling extra blessed for close friendships tonight.
3.) Just listened to some songs from Adam's and my wedding mass. Isn't it lovely how music can soothe the soul?
listening to Kim Kalman.

Day 5 of the Positivity Challenge (last day!):
1.) I hate suicide. Each time another friend or someone I know succumbs to the darkness, a little piece of me dies with him or her too and far too many of my friends and others have been lost too soon through suicide/actions resulting from depression. Hearing of Robin Williams' passing today reminds me of all the other times I have learned of others who have been lost too soon. However, I'm hopeful that with the fame and notoriety that comes along with a celebrity's passing more awareness will be given to mental and depression issues. It's time to remove the stigma and treat these for what they are so that more lives aren't so desperately lost.

 
No matter what problems you are dealing with, we want to help you find a reason to keep living. By calling 1-800-273-TALK (8255) you’ll be connected to a skilled, trained counselor at a crisis center in your area, anytime 24/7.

2.) In trying to focus on the positive today....several folks at the conference over the weekend shared that Adam's and my story gave them hope. I suppose that is all we can ever want...to make a difference in the lives of others and if that means that in a small way, Adam or I are able to be a ray of hope to others then I'll take it!

3.) Finally, I'll close this positivity challenge out with a purely physical positive...in the form of the yummiest most authentic pina colada (thanks, Google, for the recipe Adam followed tonight) I have ever had the pleasure of drinking...even if there was no whipped cream on it..ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment