Friday, November 14, 2014

Crediting the Extra

Well, here we are...just a couple weeks shy of the best holiday ever.  I can't wait to go home for Thanksgiving then continue the journey on to Delaware to spend the holiday at my little brother's house.  It will be nice to get away and try to get caught up on schoolwork while away from campus while also still spending time with some of my family.

I hope to also be able to spend more time reading with Adam and perhaps even penning a blog post or two while focusing on what I'm extra thankful for during this brief respite.

However, a lot needs to get done before the next two weeks get here...including finishing of grading of some exams in one of my night classes.  One of my extra credit questions asked my students to "share your favorite thing about Franciscan"...I left it pretty broad and open-ended because I was curious to hear what it is that my students love about this school.  I know what I enjoy about my new place of employment

(e.g., the familial and caring atmosphere, the sharing of our faith with our colleagues, working towards being and bringing out in my students our authentic and best versions of ourselves and well, I could be here for a while but I've got a stack of tests to grade)

but was curious to hear straight from the students themselves.  Here are their responses as I strive to be a little more thankful of the blessings not only during this wonderful month of November but all year!

  • the people
  • My favorite thing is the people.  I have made the best friends here at this university that I have ever had.  I know they are friendships that will last forever because they are founded on something real-Jesus Christ.  My friends here call me on to be a better person and a better Christian and that is my favorite thing about going here.
  • The many different people I have met here from all different places.
  • I appreciate how strong the faith life here is and the wonderful friends I've made.  Honestly, I could write so much more but that would take a while.
  • Households and the sister community it provides!
  • My household, Children of the Lord!
  • The truly Catholic nature of the school itself.  My faith has grown so much from being here!  :)
  • There are far too many!  I guess I love the people the most - that's general.  :)  I so admire and respect many of the professors here and have developed what I hope to be life long friendships with many of them.  I love that the professors here treat us more than just a number.  There are those I can call/email/text when I have any problem, school related or not, and they will help me talk it out.  But mostly, I love how they will genuinely pray for me.
  • community
  • My favorite thing about Franciscan University is the overall kindness brought out around here.
  • the faith
  • the Catholic faith we all share and the community that comes with it
  • It is a very caring and compassionate environment with a lot of good people.
  • I'm a fan of the new gym here.
  • the community
  • household life
  • the natural beauty of campus
  • opportunity for daily mass and Perpetual Adoration
  • the community and the faith that is integrated into class and friendships!
  • my household/households in general!
  • I love the people here and how you can see Jesus and Mary inside of them.  When they are with you, you can feel the joy of Mary and they are fully present with you.  I also love the households and retreats and spirituality here.
  • The God-loving community here

Yes, I'm so thankful for a place to work where one doesn't have to hide his/her religion or beliefs.  I hope these young adults I'm working with are able to hold on to their faiths when they graduate and go out there in the "real world" as they face opposition and are even persecuted for what they believe by those who disagree.  Here is a video that recently aired that touch on many of the topics mentioned above by my students.  I am so proud of my new "school" and even saw my landlord, my office building, and some of my students in this little video!

No comments:

Post a Comment