Monday, January 30, 2017

Meals as a Mrs. ~ Low Carb Egg Breakfast Muffins

I made these a couple weeks before Charlotte was born and froze them so that we would have these handy in the days following her birthday for company and as quick breakfasts for Adam and me.  It's only fitting this breakfast recipe is from Charlotte's grand entrance to the world given that I craved breakfast foods during the early part of the pregnancy.  :)

The recipe was supposed to yield a dozen but I wound up with 18 muffins.  Below is copied and pasted from the source:  www.hurrythefoodup.com. 

Low Carb Egg Breakfast Muffins (25 Minutes, Vegetarian)


Prep time
Cook time
Total time
Author:
Recipe type: Vegetarian
Serves: 6 muffins
Ingredients
  • (To go 12 muffin full throttle, just double the batch)
  • 1 bell pepper (your favourite colour)
  • 3 spring onions
  • 4 little cherry tomatoes/one normal tomato
  • 6 Eggs
  • A good pinch of salt (about ¼ to ½ tsp)
  • 12 slot muffin tin
  • Optional - these all go great. Add whatever you fancy!
  • 2 slices cheese; around 50g (eg. cheddar)
  • Handful spinach/green leaves
  • 2-3 splashes of hot sauce or curry powder
  • 2 tsp of sambal oelek
  • Baking paper or muffin cups (only if you don't have a nonstick muffin tin)
1.  Preheat the oven to 200°C/ 390°F.
2.  Wash and dice the pepper, onions and tomatoes and put them in a large mixing bowl.
3.  Add the eggs and salt and mix well. Pro tip - crack the eggs separately before adding. That way if you get a dodgy one, it won’t ruin the whole meal.
4.  Optionally add some hot sauce, curry powder...whatever you like. Hot sauce is great!
5.  Grease the muffin tin with oil and kitchen paper/baking brush and pour the egg mixture evenly into the muffin slots. (If you think they might still stick to the pan use some muffin cups or cut out some baking paper and to use as cups - definitely saves time on doing the washing up.
  1. If you’re so inclined then layering some cheese over the top of each muffin before they go into the oven is a delicious addition! You can also mix in the cheese to the batter.
  2. Pop the tray into the oven for 15-18 minutes or until the tops are firm to the touch.
  3. Bon Appetit!!


Notes
EQUIPMENT:
Please make sure to use a non-stick muffin tin. That way you won't have to scrape around after your baking session. You can get a good one for around 10 bucks, easy.

IF YOU LIKED THIS RECIPE: Try out one of our other recipes - if you’re in an eggy mood then this Perfect Omelette is ideal for breakfast, lunch or dinner. This Quick Eggy Bread is a real time-saver too!

I would recommend using the food processor rather than chopping by hand since my veggies I chopped by hand were a bit too big for this recipe.



Look at that yummy goodness!


I wound up baking these for 37 minutes at 200 degrees then an additional 20 minutes at 400 degrees which was a far cry from the 18 minutes cook time as outlined on the recipe.  Again, I think had I used the food processor to create smaller pieces of vegetables I don't think I would have run into the long baking time.


Tonight's scripture reading is Proverbs 24:5:

The wise are more powerful than the strong,
and the learned, than the mighty.

Reflecting on this scripture and applying it to marriage makes me think of how it takes time to learn about one another and to grow in wisdom in our interactions with our spouses.  I love that we are working to learn more about each other with each passing day of our marriage and still embrace one another in spite of our flaws.  Last night, Adam made a comment about my sensitivity to which I replied, "Yes, folks have said I take things too personally since I was a child....but you already know this about me."  He said, "Yes, and I love you for it."  Thank God for that!  I hope I never grow tired learning more about my husband.  What can you learn about your spouse or others with whom you come into daily contact in your lives today?

No comments:

Post a Comment