Wednesday, May 13, 2020

First Five Years of Anniversary Gifts

Adam and I enjoy celebrating our anniversary each year with traditional or contemporary gifts. Blame it on my working at Hallmark when I taught school-aged kids and worked part-time at the card and holiday-loving store nights and weekends to help pay for my student loans. Or blame it on Adam's love language of giving gifts but it has become a favorite annual tradition!  I love reading up on the descriptions of why the gifts are what they are each year on the website linked above...sure, it is sappy but so what. 😍

Here is a rundown of the last couple years starting with my wedding gift to Adam!


I purchased a small replica of this statue I had loved for a while. I first saw it on a retreat and remember being blown away by the simplicity of it yet quiet strength of Joseph as Mary sheltered Jesus in her arms. Our church also has this exact statue in the narthex and was a welcome sight when I went there for the first time upon moving to my town.


I was delighted to find a small replica of the statue in the bookstore at work so purchased and gave it to Adam shortly before the wedding. We placed it on the mantle above our fireplace where I just love how the light shines down on the Holy Family. I have been remembering the stillness in this statue a lot these last few months of slowing down with being in quarantine. Since the start of 2020, I have been feeling a strong call to devote and unite our family to the Holy Family which seems fitting as I reflect on this first wedding gift to Adam.

Year 1:  Paper

On the first day I was allowed to drive after Charlotte's birth due to a long and complicated recovery, I ran errands. One of which was stopping at the Center for Music and Art to purchase a gift certificate and sheet music for Adam to take piano lessons. When the gentleman found out why I was so excited to get a paper certificate, he threw in a pen and card to add to the paper gift.

Adam got me a roll of toilet paper that said, "I love you" on it.





And then a few days later he gave me a paper rose in a beautiful carved wood vase. Whew! 🌹

Year 2:  Cotton

I purchased a dark brown bow tie that looked like the one Adam had worn for the wedding along with a Rams tie. Rounding out the cotton gift, I found a cute little baby Rams outfit for Charlotte complete with football leg warmers, a Rams onesie, and matching headband that went along nicely with Adam's new cotton shirt.

Adam purchased an amazing Christmas pyramid candle decoration from one of my favorite shops downtown. He "wrapped" the gift in a box covered with cotton balls. I am still unsure as to how that gift connected with the theme of cotton other than the gift "wrap" but it was certainly a unique gift idea!

Year 3:  Leather

This gift really excited me as we had just had gorgeous spring photos as a family taken by the super talented Laura of Laura & Matthew Photography.



I printed a wallet sized photo from this photo shoot and slipped it inside an engraved leather wallet that I gave Adam. He still uses it to this day.

Adam gave me a leather bound journal that year. It reminds me of when we would mail a prayer journal back and forth to one another when we were dating long distance between North Carolina and California!

Year 4:  Satin, Fruit, or Appliances

This anniversary found us flying back to the United States two days earlier after having lived abroad for a semester! We lived in Austria from January to May and definitely grew accustomed to the European way of coffee while there. So imagine my surprise when Adam gifted me with an Italian Espresso Machine!!! He made arrangements for this beast of a coffee machine to be delivered a few days ahead of our return so that he could assemble the machine and do a test taste of the cappuccino a few hours after the clock struck midnight on our anniversary. As I think back on the middle of the night shenanigans thanks to jet lag, unpacking, and soaking up time with my parents who had picked us up from the airport, I am so thankful for the memories. I remember my parents watching Adam and me with amusement from the dining room table as he and I happily played with our new toy and sipped the espresso, cappuccino, or latte we made on the spot to test drive the machine.  Who knew an appliance could be such a sweet anniversary gift?!

My gift for Adam fell way short compared to the fancy schmancy gift Adam gave me. Waaaaaaay short! I gave him a satin travel pillowcase in a favorite football team color (that he had yet to use) and.....wait for it.....FRUIT of the Loom socks since he wore holes into all of his when traipsing about Rome earlier in the semester. I had been proud of my creativity yet practicality in trying to meet the satin and fruit parts of the anniversary gift but his appliance gift far surpassed any expectations I had!

So here we are at Year 5:  Wood and Silverware. Adam surprised me tonight by suggesting we pick out silverware together. I can't say that has ever been on my wishlist so this should be interesting! To be continued! 😉


No comments:

Post a Comment