Sunday, July 5, 2020

Favorite Fourth of July Memory

Growing up, Aunt Ollie's house was the place to be for the 4th of July. We would go to Dad's sister's house to watch the fireworks from her front porch. I remember so many summer nights of relaxing on her porch, talking, and enjoying the company down in Port Carbon. This is the first year in so long that Dad is reunited with her foot the holiday. These last few days I have been thinking of how he must feel laying eyes on so many of his loved ones again. During the last week of his life, I remember his saying to Mom and me that he "would miss you guys too much" when I had said, "Dad, you are going to see your family soon!" I will never forget the feeling of hearing him say that and seeing the look on his face when he admitted he wanted to see his parents and siblings but that he would miss "us". One foot here, one foot there. What a place to be. Mom and I had said something to the effect of, "Oh, we will be fine. You haven't seen them in so long! We will take care of each other and you will have all you need." I think I had even said something like you will still be with us just in a different way. Well, Dad, you were with us tonight as I watched fireworks two states away from home and imagined you and Aunt Ollie on Heaven's front porch watching the fireworks from the best view of all. We all miss you so but praying and hoping you are close to Jesus and reunited with those you loved brings comfort.

My favorite memory from a 4th of July occurred five years ago today! Just before the fireworks, after going to a BBQ at my aunt and uncle's house by the airport, Adam and I discovered that we were expecting!

Love you to the moon and back, our little firecracker!! I hope this holiday that celebrates the birth of our country that also marks the knowing "birth" of our family always brings you giggles, family time, and yummy treats like it did today!










No comments:

Post a Comment