Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Be Not Afraid

This song has always been one of my favorites but even more so since coming down here to NC.  It's become my "NC Anthem" of sorts.  Ever since deciding to come down here to go back to school, literally, from the weekend that I first made the decision to accept UNCG's offer and to make the big move south, to days when I feel like I just won't get it all done and am stressing over the latest deadline, I hear this song when I most need it! 

Recently, I heard this song while on retreat at the beach.  Kim Kalman, the awesome Catholic singer/songwriter I've mentioned in other blog posts and shared videos of on Facebook, sang it during Communion at mass.  It took about all I had to keep the tears from flowing as Kim's beautiful guitar playing and voice filled Holy Redeember by the Sea Church.  Once again, another signal grace was oh so generously being poured down on us girls on retreat.

Just now, I searched on youtube for a video of this song to post here for your enjoyment but couldn't find a version I liked so will post the words for you below...this is one of those songs that really hits home for me and one in which I've experienced (almost) every single line.  I know that I won't soon forget experiencing this song on retreat...what a great way to end the four day experience!! 

1.
You shall cross the barren desert, but you shall not die of thirst.
You shall wander far in safety though you do not know the way.
You shall speak your words in foreign lands and all will understand.
You shall see the face of God and live.

R.
Be not afraid.
I go before you always.
Come follow me, and
I will give you rest.

2.
If you pass through raging waters in the sea, you shall not drown.
If you walk amid the burning flames, you shall not be harmed.
If you stand before the pow'r of hell and death is at your side, know that
I am with you through it all.

3.
Blessed are your poor, for the kingdom shall be theirs.
Blest are you that weep and mourn, for one day you shall laugh.
And if wicked men insult and hate you all because of me, blessed, blessed are you!

1 comment:

  1. Great song! One of my favs.....Don't bother searching for it on Youtube. I can sing it pretty well...well send you a video:)

    ReplyDelete