Sunday, July 29, 2012

Surprises in the mailbox


Don't you just love when you get unexpected letters and surprises in the mail?? 


I forgot to check the mail yesterday so when I returned from my hot air balloon ride in Asheville this morning, I decided to go to the mailbox.  Inside, I found 4 unexpected items!

First, I received a letter from the Hershey Bears thanking me for coordinating a group outing last year.  You can read about that fun event here! The Hershey Bears invited us back for next season and even want to enter my name into a drawing to possibly win a team signed replica practice jersey.  How cool!

The second item in the mailbox is something that I have mixed emotions on since it deals with my hearing loss.  Anyone who knows me knows that I rarely use my hearing loss to get out of or get something in life.  However, when a colleague told me about possible scholarship opportunities from
The Office of Disability Services, I figured what did I have to lose and applied for a scholarship in the spring.  I had all but forgotten about the application until this morning when I opened a letter from UNCG.  Inside, was a letter informing me that I had been selected as a recipient of The Preyer Scholarship for this academic year.  What welcome news as I plan out my budget for conference travel this year!!!  I had been up late last night worrying about money to pay for school supplies, travel, and bills.  At one point, I had thrown down my checkbook in frustration, and walked away from the table of neverending numbers.  How funny it is to think that just down the driveway and across the street, lying in a business envelope, was a welcome gift that will assist me.

Third, was a large white envelope with my best friend's familiar handwriting on it.  I knew that my Sizzlin' Summer Scavenger Hunt from thirty-one package had arrived!  I can't wait to go through the paperwork and see what adventures and surprises lie ahead as I tackle this scavenger hunt!

Finally, the most beloved parcel in the mailbox was an unexpected picture card from my mom. 

 Every daughter should be so lucky to have such loving parents.  My Mom is such a sweet and thoughtful one.  No matter where I have lived (and I've been at many different addresses over the last decade), she has made it a point to send me notes and cards to let me know I'm being thought of...with the craziness of life and business of it all, I've not done a good job of staying in touch but love receiving random notes/cards from Mom regardless of how poor of a job I've done at reciprocating that.

The picture card has already found a new home on the window sill above my new picture I painted at the Paint Party the other night!  What can I say...sometimes it's the little things that make me most happy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment