Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Time Oh Sweet Time

As I read this article about why those in higher education work so much, I couldn't stop thinking of Tim McGraw's song, "Live Like You Were Dying". 


I don't know where I'm going yet after graduation that will take place in 2 short months (and four days) which is not for lack of applying and interviewing for several jobs on the market right now.

I also recall the words I read in a card I had received back in January just before my defense:  "I look forward to when you won't be so rushed anymore since you'll have defended your dissertation".  I didn't have the heart to tell the sender of the card that while one portion of that project might have ended that there are two or three that have been started as a result.  Some days, it is all I can do to keep my head above water, or at least give the appearance of doing so.  I'm sure many others, both in professional roles and those who work within their homes/families, also feel the same when faced with many responsibilities/expectations.  I wonder what is successful for you all in life/work/time balance??  I could probably benefit from hearing some new ideas!

The last four years in my PhD program have shown me that this pace of always having a variety of things on my spinning plate will not disappear after graduation or after I (hopefully) land a job, wherever that may be.  Others, outside the higher education field, have been more understanding than others of this new life.  Truth be told, I had NO idea what I was getting myself into when I started down this path and set out to achieve a life-long goal of obtaining my PhD.  Would knowing what I know now back then have changed my mind?  Who knows?  I would like to say no, that I would still have set down this path but one can only guess. 

Reading the words in the above article are helpful in reaffirming why I'm on this path in the first place.  I will have to remember to strive toward the balance I so often had let become skewed in the past but for now I must sign off...because even though I'm currently in California, I need to get back to work on a poster I'm creating for an upcoming conference in June.  I must admit it's easier to spend the day working when it's in 82 degree sunshiney weather knowing I have an unexpected quick lunch date on his way to pick me up...lucky girl am I! 

No comments:

Post a Comment