Sunday, March 30, 2014

Weekend of Happy

 Happy Day # 6:  Tonight before his bedtime, my nephew, Clark, combed and played with my hair.  It felt so relaxing and reminded me of times from years ago when my grandmother brushed my hair for hours on end as a little girl.






















Happy Day # 7:

On Saturday, my parents and three friends carpooled to the Ignited by Truth Catholic Conference in Raleigh.  There, we met up with four other friends from the Triad area.  This was my fourth, and final, IBT conference.  Each year, powerful talks and testimony are shared with the audience and yesterday was no different.  However, what was most exciting for me this year was the chance to talk with Dr. Scott Hahn again and to share the news with his wife and him that I would be joining the faculty at Franciscan University of Steubenville as a new professor in the Education Department in Fall 2014.  In fact, I used a picture you will see below that Dad had taken with Dr. Hahn as my way of "announcing" the news.  I was amazed at the love and support that came pouring through via texts, messages, and comments on social media.  What blessings my family and friends, both virtual and in person, are and I'm thankful for each one. 

Last, but not least, if you want my notes that I took yesterday, just let me know and I will happily email you the scanned notes.  I would post them here but can't figure out how to do so.

*  Below the pictures is the response I composed replying to the sweet comments I received on Fb.
Kimberly Hahn speaking about family and love.
I just realized another ironic twist!  Not only did my Grandmother go to the same college as Kimberly Hahn (Mom's mom) but my bag of children's handprints that I am using in this picture came from Grove City from my student teaching placement there 12 years ago! 
 

Dr. Scott Hahn talking about forgiveness and mercy through Confession.
Jennifer Fulwiler spoke about her conversion story from atheist to Catholic.
It's been a fun ride ~ Can't believe this is the last IBT I will be attending with some of my Triad area church friends!

 



Oh, just hanging out with my future colleague/coworker, Dr. Scott Hahn, effective as of August 2014. :)

You are SO right Chris & Sheryl…no other way to put it as superabundant blessings have been raining down that’s for sure. Fulfilling my purpose…wow! I hadn’t thought of it that way. If anyone is doubtful of what can happen when you put all at the feet of the Lord, I wish they could see all that has happened in my life (both the not so good and the awesome parts) since May 2010!

Christian, you crack me up….I love that we bumped into each other THREE times during that interview day! Ironically, I met someone yesterday, in Raleigh, who graduated from the Education Dept. in Dec. but will walk in May. She reaffirmed my decision to accept the offer through her obvious love of FUS and talking of how the professors work so closely with the students making it seem more like a family atmosphere which is something I definitely crave as a working environment.

For those who wanted more specific details: I’ll be a professor in the Education Department (general education) and will teach four classes each semester. While that is a HEAVY courseload, I am hopeful that with the support of my colleagues and smaller class sizes than what I taught at UNCG, that I’ll be able to navigate the challenges. I will have my summers to either do additional teaching or most likely to write and work on research as I work towards tenure. I am not sure where I will be living yet as Pittsburgh is only 45 minutes away from campus. As soon as I know where I’m moving to, I will be able to start getting familiar w/ campus, my new colleagues, and of course planning for teaching in the fall. The sooner that can happen the better I will feel as this transition, while exciting, is going to take a LOT of planning to ensure a smoother fall semester for my future students and myself (and Dusty Shamrock).

George, yes, he’s a phenomenal speaker! His wife, Kimberly, gave one of my favorite talks at yesterday’s conference!! I can’t wait to soak up all that happens on campus both as a professor and as an attendee at talks/workshops/conferences/studies/etc.!

Mapquest says that my parents will be about five hours from there meaning it’s closer than NC so yes, Michaelann, definitely closer to you all than where I am now! For those of you who go to FUS for youth ministry and other meetings, please do let me know as I would LOVE to volunteer and help with your group when you’re there!

Albert, what a small world!! I will see what I can do..ha! I hope to join his wife’s women’s study if possible!

Uncle Bill, you are right!! I will feel a thousand times better once I know where I’m living so I can start the moving process and make myself available to FUS to ensure the fall semester is adequately planned for and my students’ needs are met! Truth be told, I am treating myself to a quick trip to Denver a few days before graduation to see an old friend because I have a feeling this summer will be a busy one of transitioning!

Very cool, Mickey! Where did you meet him? He’s going to be talking at a parish where my old job headquarters were soon (New Oxford, PA).

Much love and thanks to all of you for your excitement and support!! I'm super duper excited, and nervous, but feel confident this is where I'm meant to be for now. If you didn't already, you've now got a friend at FUS!

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations, Meg! How awesome! I'm an alum of FUS. Wonderful place. I think you will love it. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent to hear Scott!! Let me know if you're ever in need of a place to stay if you decide to visit your old stomping grounds! :)

    ReplyDelete