Thursday, January 1, 2015

Road Trip Adventures: Day 4

Tuesday turned out being our longest day of travel since we spontaneously decided to continue pushing on through Virginia home to my parents' house in Pennsylvania around midnight or so.  Originally we had planned to go to Asheville, NC to break up the drive from Nashville, TN to Frackville, PA but ditched that plan and kept driving which put us on the road for about 14 or 15 hours.

As we ate our breakfast at the hotel on the last morning, we were surprised to learn that snow was in the forecast for California!!  We wondered if we might encounter any of the winter weather as we drove that day.  Up to that point, we had been blessed with mostly sunny weather and experienced no obstacles to the driving.  Throughout the day we drove in and out of some light mist and sprinkles of rain but otherwise enjoyed the cloudy cover.  The further north we drove, the brighter the skies became and the more my excitement grew as I knew my North Carolina niece and nephews were at my parents' for a few days and I also was itching to get my hands on my little pup.  Having not seen him since Thanksgiving, I certainly missed his furry greetings!!


Nashville skyline

The key on the right is my new charm I bought in Memphis, TN that will help me to remember this epic road trip!

We outdrove the clouds!





This was our riskiest state sign picture yet....standing along the dark highway in the cold as trucks and cars whizzed by....we opted to not do this when we crossed into Maryland and Pennsylvania a few minutes later during the trip.


 Once we arrived home, we greeted Mom and Dad and checked in on the kiddos.  They were asleep since it was a little after midnight but I couldn't resist taking these pictures upon seeing them in their beds.

 Soon after, us grownups went to bed for we knew the children would be up bright and early on New Year's Eve the next day!  Yesterday was a relaxing day with Adam working (a little), enjoying Christmas cookies and treats, and playing with the children.  In the evening, we attended mass for the holy day at St. Patrick's in Pottsville.  It was nice being back in church with the NC children again and I loved cuddling with them as we listened to Father talk.  After mass, we walked up to the front of the church and spent some time viewing the Nativity scene and talking about the Holy Family.





All four children (and Adam..hehe) managed to stay awake until midnight last night!!  The children were sound asleep by 12:10am and us adults followed suit soon after as it had been a long day!  This morning Mom asked if it had sunk in yet that Adam and I were now in the same time zones.  Thinking of all the different ones we had driven through the past few days I jokingly asked, "which one?"  Now that 2015 is here, I can hardly believe this is the year we will get married and the wedding is only 142 away from today!! 

This was the only snow we saw in California over Christmas.  It was the fake snow at Magic Mountain last weekend but little did we know, one week later that Murietta, Lake Elsinore, and some of Corona, CA were going to get the real white stuff!!  They can keep it this winter and let's hope Ohio doesn't get any!  ; )


  

No comments:

Post a Comment