Friday, May 27, 2016

Meals as a Mrs. ~ French Toast Roll-Ups

* I started writing this meal blog posting on March 4, 2016, just a couple days before Charlotte's arrival!  At that point in the weekend, it was a waiting game due to having finished teaching for spring break to start at work, having the hospital bags at the ready by the front door, my parents were on their way to our little house that weekend, and there was nothing much left to do besides wait and wait some more...so I thought I would try to get caught up on some "Meals as a Mrs." blog postings.  I have a whole spring semester of meals that need to be shared with you my dear readers.  Looking back on the culinary adventures, some recipes were successes, many were failures, and others were acceptable results that might be repeated in the future but every one of them was fun to try and an opportunity for me to try to improve my cooking and a way to further our tastebud horizons.  So without further ado, here is the blog posting that was started nearly 12 weeks ago as I completed it this afternoon during Charlotte's nap.

A Good Godly Grub theme last fall centered around breakfast foods when we selected a Brunch theme.  I chose to make a Betty Crocker recipe of French Toast Roll-Ups that turned out yummy.  The filling options, according to the recipe, could be cream cheese, canned cherry pie filling, sliced apples, peanut butter, or sliced bananas.  Well, I couldn't make up my mind so I opted to make several different kinds of these roll-ups hence the variety in flavor in the finished product.  Due to using so many different filling options, the time to make this dish was a bit longer than anticipated but was worth it as we ate the warm gooey goodness these French Toast Roll-Ups are.  They didn't taste as good as leftovers so I would encourage you to eat these while they are still fresh.

Bread, minus the crusts, all set to be rolled flat!
We have since acquired a rolling pin but back in early August, I didn't have one yet so this drinking glass sufficed.

Lots and lots of bread!
Optional fillings galore!
 






This is where it got messy...some of the filling came out as the roll-ups cooked in the frying pan.




YUM!!!

The below reading selection was included in our Engaged Encounter folder of paperwork.  No source is cited but I love this selection and, as I reflect on this passage as we wrap up year # 1 of our marriage, I am reminded of areas in which I could improve and am so thankful for the everyday chances that are given to try to do better than the previous day.

The Beatitudes for Courageous Couples 

Happy is the couple who has discovered in each other a challenging satisfaction:  they will constantly offer reassurance without being asked for it.  Adam is such a good match for me.  He is able to provide reassurance as only he can to help assuage my doubts and fears.  I hope I do the same for him!  
Happy is the couple who has shared a deep sorrow together:  they will never be totally alone in the face of crisis.  These words really ring true in light of what happened on Charlotte's birthday.  I can't imagine going through the pain and despair with anyone else other than him and am glad we have one another to lean on when times are rough.

Happy is the couple who knows themselves well enough to tell each other they are able to live independently of each other, but do not choose to do so:  they will not fear the meaning of their absences from each other.  This reminds me of our "record" of having seen one another in person or virtually every day since November 7, 2013 with the exception of a handful of days (I think we're up to something like five or six) due to travels for work and technological glitches in which Skype would not work.

Happy is the couple who has tasted enough of love to have a lifelong "attraction":  for them intimacy has begun but will never end.

Happy is the couple whose love is strong enough to be shared with others:  life can never be empty for them.  Adam and I have signed up to be a "prayer couple" for the Engaged Encounter ministry within our local diocese as a way to live out this beatitude.  I look forward to doing this with Adam as we pray for the engaged couples during their Engaged Encounter experiences.

Happy is the couple who risk giving each other loving honesty:  they will never have to fear what another person knows about them.

Happy is the couple whose faith in each other brings hope and encouragement to other couples:  they will be spoken of enviously as "truly happily married".

Happy is the couple who finds joy in the love other couples feel for each other:  they will not fear the strength of their own union.

Happy is the couple who so live their love for each other that all gossip and rumors about them will be unbelievable to those who hear:  their marriage will be a living expression of commitment.

Happy is the couple whose faith in God is experienced personally and conjointly:  for that couple's life will always be filled with surprises and will have no unsolvable mysteries.  Through working on the 30 day prayer husband/wife challenge, we are continuing to grow in our prayer life both personally and together.  I hope we will continue to seek to strive to do better and grow closer to God as our marriage evolves.


No comments:

Post a Comment