Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Meals as a Mrs. ~ Salted Caramel Apple Cake

This dessert for a triple layer Salted Caramel Apple Cake was so very good! We enjoyed it both as a cold dessert and melted after sticking it in the microwave for a few seconds.   I made this cake in the winter, coincidentally, during a blizzard when we were snowbound and it didn't quite turn out the way I thought it would.  Therefore this cake went down as being called an Avalanche Trifle Cake in honor of the weekend's snow instead! ;}

Here is what it should have looked like:

Here is my version (don't laugh!):

Ok, yeah, that is pretty funny!  ; )
Due to being snowbound, we were able to enjoy the apple cake that also has salted caramel buttercream icing for several days.  Both the cake and icing were made from scratch but somewhere along the line, as Adam and I iced the layers while also trying to clean up the kitchen, when we both had our backs turned the layers of the scrumptious cake started sliding off one another.....oops. At least the dinner (with a hilarious name) I had made that evening was a tremendous success (taste and appearance wise) even if the dessert wasn't!!  










Right before the tumble....!


Don't get me wrong, the cake was delicious in its new format.  Adam even declared it is his new favorite cake after having some seconds as a late night snack. However, we both were a little tired of it after feasting on it the next several days.  Due to the sheer volume of the cake let alone the size of the three layers, I recommend this dessert for large gatherings otherwise you will have leftovers for daaaaaays!  The cake, within the trifle dish, was so tall I had to remove the top glass shelf in our refrigerator so that it would fit in the fridge! Yowza!!  Hopefully if any of you make this cake, you'll have better luck at getting it to look like the picture on the recipe. I have to admit though that it was fun slinging pieces of cake and icing into the trifle dish once I realized there was no saving the slippery layers. Hehe.

The poem below, from the Engaged Encounter weekend paperwork, is a nice reminder as to what's really important especially as I start to feel the usual summer anxiety of needing to prep my courses for the upcoming fall semester while reflecting on recent evaluations and implementing changes for the future where needed.  I stopped over at school the other night and found my office in dire need of straightening up and reorganizing from my absence.  I look forward to getting the projects and exams that were left behind by my subs in files and purging extraneous paperwork before beginning to revise and update course syllabi and records for the fall but not today.  Tonight, I'm going to enjoy being in the moment as Charlotte happily swings and coos in her giraffe swing across from me, the boys wrestle and chase one another at my feet, and Adam gets caught up on his gaming and football.  There will be time later for worrying about work but for now I'm going to thank God for these blessings and take time to praise Him regarding what I currently see and hear in our living room.


Take Time


Take time to work, it is the price of success (yes, I would rather take my time to get a job done to ensure it is thorough and complete rather than rushing through it and this is why, sometimes, it's hard for me to get started on a task.  If I don't think I will have enough time to put forth my best effort I can sometimes find myself paralyzed and unable to start the job).
Take time to think, it is the source of power.
Take time to play, it is the secret to perpetual youth (the pups have this one down pat).
Take time to be friendly, it is the road to happiness.
Take time to dream, it is expanding your horizons (I would also say in addition to dreaming to be open to possibilities that might seem impossible...dream BIG!).
Take time to love and be loved, it is a blessing from God (all too often, I've been guilty of not being present due to thinking of what needs to be done in and out of the home but am hopefully improving in this area!  It is so important to communicate to our loved ones how important they are while we still can!  Life is so short for some and we need to put ourselves out there and embrace the moment more.  Don't take a single second or day for granted.).
Take time to look around, the day is too short to be selfish.
Take time to laugh, it is the music of the soul (so thankful for my funny hubby who makes me laugh every day! And my brothers.  They are hilarious too...especially Patrick!).

Author Unknown


 

No comments:

Post a Comment