Thursday, April 23, 2020

Fly high

Tonight we saw Dad.

We were able to go see him at the funeral home, which was a surprise since we hadn't expected the invitation to do so with planning on having the viewing at church tomorrow morning.

As we drove over to the funeral home, I didn't know what to expect and kept thinking of the last funeral I attended in January. Sha looked so different from how she was while we lived in Austria and I wondered if Dad would look drastically different to me.

I got a glimpse of Dad's telltale wavy hair as soon as we walked in the door. I recognized him immediately as his face came into view...he almost had a half smile on his face, too!

I was struck by the sense of peace that filled the place and he even seemed to look younger in death. It made me think about his being restored in Heaven. My mom and brothers said he looked proud, distinguished, and satisfied.

Upon returning home tonight, our friend, Nick, flew a small plane over our house. We all went out on the back deck to watch him circle around the backyard. Patrick called it the final send off/fly over for Dad. It was quite fitting given all the many flying conversations my twin's best man had with Dad.

This makes me think of another aspect of my parents. So many of our friends, over the years, have gravitated toward them. I love that they know and love Dad as we do. So much so that when I sent a picture of Dad to one of my best friends from 8th grade on, she proclaimed how peaceful he looked, too! I hope to be that kind of parent for Charlotte - - to be looked at as an example or to be included the way my parents have been.

Here's to one more day physically with Dad as we prepare for the private viewing and mass before taking him to the military cemetery that is about 45 minutes from home.


No comments:

Post a Comment