Monday, August 15, 2016

Meals as a Mrs. ~ Leap Year Day Cake



February’s Good Godly Grub’s theme was to bring a dish that reminded us of the leap year or an unusual dish on account of this past February having 02/29 making it a leap year!  In my research, I discovered that there is actually a dessert called “LeapYear Day Cake” courtesy of an Amish cookbook that just happened to be from my home state in Lancaster County!!

This cake was delicious and simple yet didn’t need any icing or frosting.  It was good as a late night snack or in the morning with a cup of coffee.  Mmm!!  The cake itself was moist with the edges being a little crispy, reminding me a bit of the texture of cornbread, and the top was crumbly resembling coffeecake or a crumb cake but was not as sweet.  

Upon serving the cake, I cut it into small squares making it the perfect bite-size snack to enjoy throughout the day.  I would definitely make this dessert again!!



Proverbs 12:26 tells us:  

The just act as guides to their neighbors,

but the way of the wicked leads them astray.

Reflecting on this scripture makes me think of how grateful I am for the strong network of Catholic families and friendships we've been able to connect with and make in our new town.  Having said that, I value all the connections and friendships I've made over the years and have grown from interactions with everyone I've come across...including those who may have fallen away...which reminds me of the quote about people who come into your life for a reason, season, or lifetime.  Some of my greatest growth and learning has come from friendships with those who believe in radically different things than I do but I respect that.  Hopefully, they, in turn respect the differences on my end as well.    

I also love the fact that, currently, my faith and work are seamlessly blended together.  For so long, the two were separated and I'm very appreciative of the fact that my Catholicity is in every aspect of my life from professional to personal to everything else in between...it's been so refreshing and rejuvenating to live this way.  I suppose I always have lived this way but nowadays there are no separate lines or divisions if that makes sense.  I am really glad that we're able to raise Charlotte in such a strong Catholic environment for now.  Will we always be in this town or state?  Who knows?  However, wherever we wind up, I have a feeling that the fortitude and connections we're building in the here and now will help us in the future whether it is 365 days of the year or 366.  Ah....that one fell a little flat but I had to do it.  It's a Leap Year posting after all!  ; )


No comments:

Post a Comment