Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Big Deal Birthday (for me) this year

I was asked to list one thing I'm grateful for today.  Well...today is my (twin's and my) birthday (yay!) and we're exactly one week from my daughter's first birthday. Today feels like a huge deal because I wouldn't be here if it weren't for the fast acting medical staff and doctors who saved my life the night of my daughter's birth once complications were discovered a few hours after her arrival. 

There have been many dark days since last March 7th when I grieve for the siblings we can't give Charlotte Annie or the large family we had planned but I'm so incredibly thankful to be here as I am and to be able to experience life the way it is turning out rather than for Adam to have to tell Charlotte today was Mommy's birthday but instead it is Mommy's birthday!

I am especially grateful for seemingly simple things like pampering myself by wearing a necklace Adam gave me for Valentine's Day, some new birthday perfume from him, and getting a bright new colorful outfit to wear in the mail after I splurged a little and purchased my first LulaRoe outfit over the weekend.  I plan to wear it to my daughter's birthday party if it fits!  These are little things but I can't help but view them differently when I think of how close we came to the story turning out differently last March. 

I want to remember the joy and bright times more than the dark times and reflecting on actually being able to be here to celebrate my birthday and that of Charlotte's next Tuesday is helping me to focus on the good more than the bad!   The many well wishes expressed to me at work by caring colleagues and students alike as well as the love shown via social media, texts, emails, and calls remind me that we're not in this alone but we're all companions on the journey!  Thank you all for the sweet love shown today and every day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment