Monday, January 21, 2013

Counting My Blessings!


I feel like I was just sick.  Oh wait, that’s because I was..right before Christmas.  So today didn’t turn out like I thought it would…

No playing with the kiddies for fear I would spread my cold germs to them.  No fun get together with Doris to eat chocolate cake this afternoon.  No buying a beautiful pink scarf at the mall to wear in DC on Friday (thanks to my little brother).  No dancing at Zumba tonight.  No energy to play with my puppy.  No trying out Yo Daddy frozen yogurt with Tiffany (whom I haven’t seen since May!!).  

Boohoo…how disappointing but it was nice to rest and organize my desk while getting ready for this busy week.  I put the finishing touches on my portfolio defense powerpoint and printed out copies for my committee members, I fixed my printer, and I got a couple other things crossed off my to-do list.  Sure, I could have spent today working on dissertation writing (and probably should have) but this dripping/stuffy/dripping again nose of mine kept me from concentrating and typing as much as I wanted.  I also feel not as guilty for not getting as much done today because I know I will have writing group starting up next week (thank goodness) that will help to get me back on, and stay, on track!
The last time I took it easy---if you can call today’s break of sniffling, blowing my nose, washing my hands excessively, sneezing, breathing out of my mouth, and drinking lots of fluids that---was over break when I was home in Pennsylvania.  Tonight marks my 2 week return to NC and it’s amazing to think I’ve been back that long already…so much has happened since my return…the Kim Kalman concert, the kick off of Theology on Tap, Zumba classes, visits with family from Boston, Pittsburgh, Philly, home, and Delaware!, many many meetings, prepping for conferences, the start of the semester, planning this week's trip to the March for Life, thinking about Spring Break in 46 days, moving forward with dissertation plans, etc. that it feels as if my escape to PA  happened light-years ago!
When I left NC on 12/18/12, it was 57 degrees.  By the time I made it to my parents’ home later that day, it was 21 degrees colder at 36 degrees.  I experienced 5 snow “storms/showers” while up North and traveled through five states (NC, VA, WV, MD, and PA).  I had the pleasure of playing with 10 pups, cuddling two babies, and attending mass at 3 different churches during my holiday vacation.  I spent way too much $$$ on registering for conferences in 2013 as well as on buying a couple plane tickets to get myself there and back & can’t bear to bring myself to look at the total numbers of that portion of my trip….Finally, the total number of miles my little Vibe covered during my 20 day stay in PA was…..drum roll, please…..1,908.9 (here’s my thank-you shoutout to those of you who drove when we were together)!!  
Looking at the numbers like this makes me sit back in awe…and further realize how blessed I am to have family and friends who go the “extra” mile to see me when I’m in town.  Thanks for a priceless memory-filled vacation and looking forward to doing some of it again in March!!  xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment