Thursday, August 15, 2013

Cousins & Babies

Several months ago, I was asked which decade of the Rosary best describes my personality.  Here was my response:

Hmm, I would probably say the Visitation from the Joyful Mysteries!  I've always loved the story of Mary going to Elizabeth when she found out she was with child and Elizabeth knowing instinctively that Mary was also expecting!!  Since I didn't have any sisters growing up, I imagined that having one would be much be like how Mary and Elizabeth interacted.  Even though Mary and Elizabeth were cousins, they shared a close bond that I imagined I would share with a sister had I had one.  This is one of the reasons why I chose Elizabeth as my Confirmation Saint as I've always been drawn to that name and saint.  Then, my twin brother grew up and married an Elizabeth, a woman I'm close to today.  The Visitation relates to my personality because I love to travel to see and visit with loved ones!
Today is the Holy Day of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary.  During Mass today, we heard the story about Elizabeth greeting Mary which reminded me of the above response.  As I reflected on the sorrows and joys of Mary's life, I couldn't help but again realize how much I need to grow in embracing the challenges set before me (rather than feeling frustrated/paralyzed with fear/angry) and to persevere in faith in spite of it all as Mary so beautifully did.  During his homily, Fr. Tom asked what the dragons are in our lives that bring us confusion and chaos instead of peace.  Yes, this current school year....and the dissertation process......and committee confusion has thrust me into a state of chaos and never ceasing worry but there are moments of peace scattered throughout these days.  They come in the form of a caring advisor who takes time out of her terribly hectic and busy day to check in or simply shoot a smile my way.  They occur when I feel the little arms of my older niece and nephew wrapped around my legs begging me to not leave for school that morning (ok, that doesn't sound peaceful but knowing they care enough to want me to stay home with them is pretty nice).  Comfort is felt in the warmth of a small furry puppy tangled up at my feet as I write late into the night.  Moments spent reading a note sent through the mail help to calm the always churning thoughts.  The moments just before sleep comes spent talking with God help to give me hope that tomorrow might be a little bit more productive, and if not, then that's okay too.  

Today's feast day also marks half of the month meaning I have exactly six weeks to get Chapter 4 written, which at this very moment seems like an impossible task.  I can't wait to come back to this blog posting on October 1st and think to myself, huh, what were you so worried about, you got it done after all!  


Positive thinking, eh?! 


So, sitting in the pew this morning, reflecting on the things that bring us chaos/confusion versus peace, made me think of the hard working moms (and dads) who are trying to "do it all", who after working all day (or night) have to then be "on" for the children and be a parent throughout the chores, events, activities, etc.  Please help them to grow in peace and achieve some sense of calmness in spite of the hustle and bustle of daily living.  Really, that prayer could be said for us all, even those of us, without children.  Let us all grow in understanding and love for one another, rather than talk negatively or tear down others with our words and actions.  After Communion, I noticed a couple at the end of the line.  The gentleman went ahead of the woman to receive Eucharist but rather than walking back to his pew as is custom, he stepped aside and bowed his head down in prayer.  His wife received Communion, then turned to husband who was patiently waiting for her.  The two walked hand in hand back to their pew where he let her in to her pew before he took his seat.  No words were exchanged and the whole interaction took less than five seconds but it made a profound impact on me.  I know I have blogged on here in the past about gentlemanly actions versus independent women but there was something beautifully inspiring about that simple act of waiting for and accompanying one another back to the pew.  If we could all be a little more charitable and demonstrate such kindness to one another, think of how happy we could make others with such small random acts of kindness.

Later in the day, when I returned to my phone, I had a message from my cousin asking to call him.  We spoke for a few minutes before he asked if I would serve his wife and him the honor of being godmother to their baby daughter!  How neat to receive this request on today of all days and when I had heard a reading about two loving cousins visiting one another over baby business.  Now, I get to plan a trip to Pittsburgh in September (making for three back-to-back weekends in my home state....how in the world will I pull this off money and time-wise?!) to meet my cousins' baby girl and become her godmother!  How sweet of my cousins to ask me and I can't wait to share in Sadie Jo's special day and see my Pittsburgh family!
Billy & Richele's wedding day...my how time flies !  I remember this wedding weekend as being my first weekend after classes in the PhD program had started which meant that I had to spend the whole way up to PA and back to NC reading and doing homework as my brother drove.
My newest goddaughter...isn't she just precious??!
Proud new godparents!  My cousin, Mikey, will be Sadie's godfather.  :)
 Now, I must get going so I can get back to data analysis/drafting Ch. 4....with all these fun events happening in PA in September, I have a lot to do to try to stick with my Sept. 30th deadline!

No comments:

Post a Comment