Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Promises in Color

Shortly before Easter, I learned about a friend's sister who had unexpectedly received a devastating medical diagnosis.  One of the girls on the email prayer chain made a comment relating to God's promises and rainbows:

My heart is breaking at this news and I am so sorry that you all are walking through this storm. I am continuing to pray for a miracle. I am praying specifically that God would send you a rainbow to remind you of His faithfulness. I am praying that your sister would be overwhelmed with God's peace and goodness. I love you!!

One hour after that message was sent, I saw this on the inside of the car while riding in Pennsylvania.


The following week, while in North Carolina, I saw another rainbow prompting me to say extra prayers for my friend and her family.

The next week found me in Colorado where I saw a rainbow inside the apartment I was staying in...sixteen floors from the ground and on a sunny day (with no rain in sight).  Then, several days later, as I traveled from NC to PA, I saw a rainbow over Highway 81 as I passed through Virginia.  

For those of you who might not be familiar with the religious significance of rainbows, according to Genesis 9:

God said: This is the sign of the covenant that I am making between me and you and every living creature with you for all ages to come.  I set my bow in the clouds to serve as a sign of the covenant between me and the earth.  

I also utilized rainbows in my dissertation defense to vividly illustrate the findings of my research...I wonder if I subconsciously used the rainbow analogy to reassure myself that God keeps His promises and I would be delivered through my defense.  Ha!




Self Determined Identity Type
Fluidity
Management & Resiliency


Anyhow...a week went by of no rainbow sightings but the updates kept coming about my friend's sister.  She has a long battle ahead of her as she fights cancer but has a treatment plan in place. In fact, this past Tuesday, she began her first round of chemo.  I had been praying for my friend and her family throughout the day as I received updates and messages via the email prayer chain.  However, I should not have been surprised to discover the double rainbow directly over my parents' home as my Mom and I returned to the house from running errands that same day she began chemo.    If you have a moment, please lift up this young mother in prayer as she faces her biggest battle yet.  I trust God does keep His promises and will help my friend's sister as she faces the next steps in her journey but a little extra prayer never hurt anyone...thank you.


















No comments:

Post a Comment