Monday, October 7, 2013

Blue Sky

It rained all day today.  Then, just in time for dinner, it cleared up and began to dry out a bit.  On my way to the Greensboro Pregnancy Center fundraiser dinner this evening, I marveled at how you wouldn't know it had rained if you hadn't seen the pouring down rain out the window or heard the splish splash as the thousands of drops pelted the driveway earlier this afternoon.

How much like forgiveness and grace is the rain?  We get washed clean each time we seek God's forgiveness yet how quickly we forget and return to our ways.  We go away on retreats and are on fire and enthused but then upon return to the real world and daily struggles we may lose some of that passion.  We fall off the wagon and say starting tomorrow, we're going to get right back up on that horse and _______________________.....starting tomorrow.

I rediscovered something that has been burning within me for a while now.  It has been something I've pushed aside, put a lid on, tucked away into a dusty corner since February or March 2003.  Wow, that is over 10 years ago.  It has been a long twisted, and at many times a dark, road but I now know that I want, no I need, to be involved at a deeper level with a pregnancy center.  It's one thing to help with the advertising, recruiting table hosts, and coordinating and serving as a table host at the annual fundraiser dinner.  It is great work attending pro-life marches and rallies and participating in pro-life rosaries outside abortion clinics.  Yet my heart has longed for more since taking an active role in all this back in October 2011.  When I get to where I am going next, without a doubt, I'm going to give of my time, talent, and love to the local pregnancy center.  I want to be on the other side of the door.  I want to be the one who greets the women and men with open arms.  I want to offer my support; to be the silent friend or give advice when needed; to love and accept them; to hear their stories & share mine if it will help.

When I pulled out of the parking lot tonight, this song was playing...how appropriate!  I'll share my notes from Dr. Gary Chapman, author of the 5 Love Languages, (I so need to get that book!!) in another post but these lyrics couldn't have rung more true tonight in conjunction with what I heard during the talk tonight.


No comments:

Post a Comment