Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Ooh, Baby I Love Your Way (post 29 of 30)



Image result for boy or girl

Tuesday, 02/09/16:  36 weeks 2 days

Slowly but I’m getting caught up on the blog postings between grading and crossing off other items on the to-do list.  Earlier today, Melanie, a friend from Harrisburg, texted that she is confident I’ve been organized throughout the pregnancy.  I don’t know about that but I do know I’m trying to do everything in my power to get as much down now, on the front end, in attempting to have facilitate a smooth transition for my students and the subs who will take over during my maternity leave, in tying up loose ends, readying the house for baby’s arrival, trying to get our bags packed for the hospital, and thinking about getting baby’s clothes washed, dried, folded, and put away soon.  We have (sort of) narrowed down the girl name choices to four and have three tentatively selected for boy names.  I wrote them down on strips of paper this afternoon and when Adam is ready, we might just draw the two names from a baggie since we keep going round and round and round…!

Also, last night, I had my second dream that baby was a boy!?  Hmm!!!

Tonight, I just realized that this is the first time in five years I’m not going to a conference within my field of deaf education that I enjoy attending.  I first went to ACE-DHH in 2011 when Stef andI presented our NLCSD research in Jacksonville, FL and I got to reconnect with my undergraduate advisor after many years!!  The following year, I was able to present with Margo, Stef, and mycurrent advisor in Santa Fe, NM, where I saw Dr. Klein again and also spent time working on a presentation with another mentor, Rachel, who works in CA, that we were honored enough to present at another conference in April of that year (AERA conference in San Francisco!).  Then, my third year of attending ACE-DHH occurred in February 2014 the week before my job interview and several weeks after successfully defending my dissertation in Washington, DC at Gallaudet University.  Margo and I shared our history projectresearch at that conference.  Last year, in February 2015, I presented my dissertation research in St. Louis, MO and enjoyed celebrating Valentine’s Day with Adam in a new city for both of us.  This year, the conference fell too close to the due date to travel and is being held in New York City!  It is ACE-DHH week in the Big Apple so to all those who are attending, enjoy!!  I hope the conference is enlightening and rejuvenates your love for our field!  Who knows, maybe I’ll see you there next year depending on where it will be..?!

Friday, 02/12/16:  36 weeks 4 days

We had our appointment yesterday morning where I had to give blood, be tested for Strep, and found out I was not dilated.  The doctor also predicted we had about a month to go yet instead of three weeks.  We are now at the point where I will need to return for doctor visits once a week until the baby is born.  I am off from school the whole week of March 7th since that is spring break.  It would be great if baby’s arrival coincided with break so that I could make a clean break from work and the transition between the subs and myself would be a smooth one.  Or if baby has not arrived, I might return to work on Monday, March 14th, and keep working until the big day.  Who knows what will happen but I am hoping that everything will be smooth and we’ll be home from the hospital within a few days.  One of my friends who just had her 6th or 7th baby delivered Friday evening and was back at work Monday morning !!!!!!!!!!!!  I don’t anticipate THAT happening but it would be nice to be mobile and up on my feet within a few days but I realize that there is no way of knowing until it happens.  Another first time Mom in NC had unexpected complications and was in the hospital for five days…and didn't feel like herself until nearly two weeks later which is something I hope doesn’t happen with us but again there’s no predicting it I suppose.
 
I’m getting there with sort of feeling prepared (or as prepared as I can feel).  I alternate between feelings of panic/anxiety and being utterly exhausted from all the chores/trying to get everything ready….guess I can thank the pregnancy hormones for these wild feelings as of late.  Time also seems to be going super slow as the due date approaches.  This week was SO long.  I’m also hoping to also finish packing the hospital bag at some point this weekend and we have a three hour class scheduled for Saturday evening with our doula to learn about the Bradley Birthing Method/positions/what to expect/etc.  We also need to get the birthing plan written and printed.  It just seems like a never ending list of items on the to-do list and for every item I cross off my list, there is yet another item to tackle.  Who know having a baby would require so much planning?!  ; )
 
As of now after a 24 hour laundry binging spree, all the immediate clothing, blankets, and bedding have been washed and folded.  The diaper pail was added to the nursery tonight.  The baby toys are in the top rack of the dishwasher waiting to be washed and the diaper bag is drying as we speak.  I’ve not a clue what to do with the breastfeeding stuff but I figure there is no practicing with that and I’ll just have to learn during that first week of the little one’s life.  The car seat bases and seat covers are in the garage awaiting my twin’s help (the state trooper who is certified in installing car seats!) when he and his family come visit next weekend.  They were our first guests last Feb. and are coming back for the second time the same weekend one year later…so it will be nice to show them the changes to the house considering Adam was a “bachelor” living here alone when they were here the last time!

Saturday, 02/13/16:  36 weeks 5 days

Tonight we had a three hour class with our doula that wound up being closer to four hours due to the questions and side conversations we had.  She was full of helpful information and suggestions.  I told Adam after Sara left that I knew way more than I expected to learn as a result of the lesson.  I also had no idea how detailed and involved the actual delivery process would be!  I hadn’t before considered the afterbirth, the umbilical cord, the placenta, the technical aspects of breastfeeding in such detail, the bleeding for upwards of six weeks (!!!), and so forth.  In my mind, I only focused on the lead up to the delivery wondering if/when my water will break, if it would be when in the middle of teaching at work, will the labor pains be really painful, will we opt for Epidural or wind up with an all natural birth as hoped for, how long will the whole labor and delivery process be, are we having a boy or a girl, what will we name him/her, how long will we be in the hospital, and a million other questions.  However, I hadn’t thought of the fact that bleeding can last for up to six weeks, that breastmilk doesn’t actually come in until the third day, that some babies are born hungry and ready to nurse immediately after entering this big ol’ world, that stitching/repairs are typically done right then and there in the labor and delivery room as you hold your newborn, that I can decline the weekly checks of seeing if I’m dilated right now, and so much more.  To say my head was spinning at the conclusion of tonight’s crash course is an understatement.  

However, I feel even more at ease about the unknown with having Sara as a resource and advocate in our corner for when the big day comes and I'm so thankful a friend at work, Amy, "introduced" us to Sara so that we would have the addition of a doula on the big day as well.…and hopefully my Mom as well as Adam.  We don’t know yet what my parents’ plans are but I really hope they are able to be with us from start to finish of the whole process!  

I also found out tonight that I don’t necessarily have to wear the hospital gown while there.  We need to double check on the policy but I love the idea of being able to wear something more comfortable and that is mine instead of the generic gown provided by the hospital if possible.  We also picked up some microwaveable meals, animal crackers, and Clif bars to snack on while at the hospital.  The bags are nearly completely packed which is such a good feeling!  It was also interesting to realize subconsciously that I was thinking of the baby’s bag with the outfits, boppy, pacifiers, and so forth that it was “his” bag and the bag was nearly ready for “him”.  It seems that I’m thinking the baby will be a boy….I wonder if this will reveal itself to be true early next month?!

Update on baby's progress now that we're at 36 weeks:

At the end of week 36, it might give you comfort to know that the arrival is approaching quickly. Your baby is considered full term, yet he still has more growing to do. His bones are hardening, but his skull remains soft and flexible for birth.

He’s grown almost completely into his skin, which was once oversized and loose.

He now has a fully rounded face, in part because his powerful sucking muscles are now developed and ready to get to work.

During this 36th week, your baby probably weighs about 6 pounds or slightly more.  

It's natural for your body to begin to slow a little as you get closer to your due date. You're now carrying a full-grown baby inside, and are continuing to adjust to loosening ligaments, swelling, and other challenges.

Continuing consistent, gentle exercise may help you fight fatigue. Walking is a great example of exercise you can usually continue through labor.

Balanced nutrition is not only nourishing you and your baby throughout your pregnancy, but it is also establishing a strong foundation for breastfeeding and your body's recovery after delivery. 


Braxton Hicks contractions (the clinical term for false contractions) were named after the British doctor John Braxton Hicks, and play an important role in helping your body rehearse for childbirth. They might become more frequent as you edge closer to your due date.

Braxton Hicks vs. true labor contractions

Braxton Hicks (False Labor) Contractions True Labor Contractions
Irregular and remain irregular Regular intervals or regular pattern
Don't get closer together as time passes Grow closer together over time
Often are weak and stay that way (might have stronger contractions followed by weaker ones) Increase in strength/intensity over time
Stop when you rest, walk, or change positions Keep coming no matter what you do
Vary in length and intensity Usually last 30 to 90 seconds (shorter when they begin and get progressively longer and stronger)
Don't affect your cervix Cause cervix to dilate (open)
Pain usually felt only in the front Pain begins in back and moves to front.


No comments:

Post a Comment