Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Road Trippin'

I remember hearing this song for the first time in junior high school.  

 
Besides being a catchy little tune, I remember the lyrics piquing my interest and sparking that desire to get away somewhere and travel.  I could hardly wait to grow up and be spontaneous and just get in my car and drive somewhere without a destination.  

How funny it is to think back to how we viewed the world as middle schoolers and even as high schoolers.  I didn't spend a lot of time back then, when daydreaming, thinking about details or logistics such as paying for the gas, knowing how to get from point A to point B, having coupons or dollar menus to save on food during the random road trips, sticky widgets such as car maintenance issues, or maximizing travel time to ensure the opportunities to be a "tourist" yet also be able to get from one destination to another in a timely fashion.  

My Christmas Break at home over the last 12 days has been spent all over the place!  From driving to Lebanon, Carlisle, York, Harrisburg, Reading, Hanover, Maryland, and all points in between, I racked up the miles and burned through several filled gas tanks to see family and friends while home.  I'm so thankful for the memories and laughs that were made while home with those I traveled to see and especially those friends who drove to see me!  I am grateful they took the time out of their hectic schedules at this busy time of the holiday season to squeeze me into their schedules and enjoyed my time at home all the more through these visits.

My friend, Lisa, often says that God speaks to me through billboards and signs (like literally, road signs, street signs, etc.).  I giggled to myself on Sunday morning when I drove down 61 to Reading for a visit with a few friends and I was the only car on the road until I passed out a truck from.....Greensboro, NC.  Seriously?!  I'm in my home county in my home state, borrowing my Mom's car, to drive down a highway I've been on a million times to go see my friends from college in a city an hour away and the only other vehicle on the road is a truck from Greensboro, NC?  LOL!

On the way to seeing Ashley and Monika on Sunday, I realized that the last time I had seen both of them together was when we had our girls' getaway to San Francisco, CA at the start of the summer last year.  I also recalled how behind I am on blogging since I've not yet blogged about it nor gone through my pictures from that awesome trip.  Soon I hope!  Later that afternoon, as we exchanged gifts, I loved the keychain from Monika that contained pictures from our memorable trip and was thrilled when I opened Ash's annual calendar gift.  Each December I hope for and look forward to her gift since many years ago, she started giving me the photo collage calendar as a gift.  Well, this year, she created one of our San Francisco memories!  Now, I can relive that awesome trip throughout the year daily!

So, to everyone who's been a part of this one, thanks so much for the talks, laughs, and creating of new memories as I escaped from reality for a bit and partook of the Christmas festivities (and cookies) of the season.  As I start to pack for my return to NC and bid adieu yet again, I am definitely looking forward to connecting again in 2014....wherever that may be!  Anyone got a quarter to flip for it?


No comments:

Post a Comment