Sunday, December 22, 2013

Strong Silent Type

Last night, I reflected on yesterday's date of 12/21.  On that day last year, my Dad had unexpected heart surgery at St. Joseph's Hospital in Reading.  As I mentioned last night, when I think of last year's holiday season at home, it was filled with trips to three different hospitals within a less than two-week time span resulting in fear and worry for my father.  Ironically, we attended mass at St. Joseph's Parish in Frackville last night before I realized the date.  I've always loved what St. Joseph stands for...the protector of the Holy Family, supporter of Mary, and living out his calling as patriarch here on Earth.  These traits are what I see in my own father as I think back on how he supported our family over the years, how much of an impact he has had in not only my life but so many others, and how in love he and my Mom were and continue to be today.  What an example they are to my brothers and me!

I can only hope the man I might marry someday would embody these traits I see in both my father and St. Joseph.

Today is the fourth Sunday of Advent so today's Gospel reminds us of the following:

‘Joseph, son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary as your wife’ (Mt 1:20). Just like in the reading from the prophet Isaiah, yet in a diametrically opposed way to Ahaz’s incredulous attitude, we see Joseph’s full adherence to God’s will. He had just decided to divorce Mary on account of her unexpected pregnancy in accordance with the Law, but upon the Angel’s reassurance ‘he did what he told him to do: he took his wife home’ (Mt 1:24). Joseph’s need for reassurance that the child was the fruit of the Holy Spirit doesn’t diminish his fatherhood but rather enhances it as ‘You must name him Jesus, because He is the One who is to save His people from their sins’ (Mt 1:21). In other words, thanks to his extraordinary fatherhood he, himself accepted and permitted the realization of God’s promise to reside amongst His people. Joseph’s great faith helps us to comprehend that faith assumes a new importance in the most intimate things that belong to us. We are reminded today that everyone of us has received our ‘apostolic mission’ to ‘obtain the obedience of faith’, and to profess our faith in Jesus Christ (cf Rm 1:1-7).

(Taken from http://www.catholicculture.org/culture/liturgicalyear/calendar/day.cfm?date=2013-12-22)

I stumbled upon a beautiful church yesterday morning while departing Hanover.  It was the oldest stone Catholic church in the US and also the first parish dedicated to the Sacred Heart of Jesus.  Located atop a hill with snow blanketing the rolling grass and tufts of clouds passing high above the cross in the sky, this church was a serene spot to stop and pray for a special intention.  Oh, how I loved this stained glass window of the Holy Family!

I've not been able to keep up with the Advent Reflection readings I've been participating in over the last few nights due to the travel and spending of time with loved ones which has thrown me off kilter a bit.  I very much look forward to getting back into the nightly habit of reading, reflecting, and talking with a friend tonight.  What are some Advent traditions you and your family engage in during this holy season of waiting and hope?

Christmas is almost here!

 



No comments:

Post a Comment