Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Ooh, Baby I Love Your Way (part 3 of 30)

Monday, 08/03/15 (penned in Adoration) – 2 months into the pregnancy


This past weekend we were able to share the news with Adam’s parents and our siblings.  Since Skype was not working we were unable to see Mom Sue and Dad Tom’s reactions but we could hear the joy in their voices as we told them over speaker phone.  Mom Sue guessed right away what our news might be by asking us if it involved the pitter patter of little feet.  I said “Yes, we already have the pitter patter of little paws but God willing the pitter patter of little baby feet will also be added!” 

The next morning, as we talked with Adam’s brother, Mark, his wife Alicia, and their adorable 4 year old son, Tegan, on Skype we were brought up to speed on recent events in their lives before we shared the news.  We empathized with them and their numerous doctor visits and said that we, too, had been visiting the doctor together for the same reasons…to which they connected the dots and expressed their congratulations!  It is neat to think that the cousins will be born a few months apart from each other.  I also just realized the same will be true on my side of the family since my cousin, Billy, is expecting his second child with his wife in January.  Babies everywhere! 

Later that day, on Saturday afternoon, we Skyped with Adam’s sister, Wendy, and her family.  Tim and the boys had been outside doing yardwork so we were glad we could provide them a quick break to come in and talk to us.  Even Roxy, the family dog, joined in to say hi to Dusty and Hershey.  ; )  By the time we broke the news to Wendy and Tim, Dustin and Jacob had stepped out but I’m sure they were excited when their parents shared the news with them.  To tell Wendy and Tim, we compared the new puppy and talked about how difficult it has been to housetrain him, how he is so tiny, and how he is easy to hold like a baby…which we suppose is good practice for next spring.  Watching Wendy and Tim’s faces via Skype, they both seemed to realize at the same time what we were saying as smiles crept over their faces.  Sharing the news with all of our California family was special but it would be that much more special if we didn’t have three time zones and a computer screen separating us.  We sure can’t wait to see all of them in person in December!!!

Now that we had shared the news with all of Adam’s family, it was time to tell my two remaining brothers and families and my Aunt Maureen & Laura once we made it to Boston that night for our last trip of Summer 2015.  We ended up telling Aunt Maureen and Laura in our hotel room as Patrick listened since we wanted to show Patrick the pictures from our appointment he had already known about prior to leaving our house earlier that week.  Reaction-wise, Laura was very excited for us and repeated the news for Aunt Maureen who had been doing something on her phone and half listening to our conversation.  Once she realized what the conversation had been about she was surprised and excited for us too.  In thinking about how we wanted to share the news with Brian and Alisha, Patrick came up with a brilliant idea.  Since Adam and I were riding with Patrick to church, we would time it so that as we slid into the pew next to Brian, Alisha, and their four kids, we would say, “Do you have room for four more?”…meaning room for Patrick, Adam, me, and… ????  I loved it and couldn’t wait to ask that question come Sunday morning.

However, it didn’t quite work out that way.  We ran into Mark, Liz, and their two boys at breakfast in the hotel so I was able to say, “Hi guys, do you have room for three more?” since it was just Adam and me.  Both Mark and Liz said, “Yeah, sure!  The boys are finishing up anyway” gesturing to the two extra chairs at their table and did not understand what I was really asking.  So I repeated myself and emphasized the three more part of my request.  In mid-sentence Mark said, “Oh – congratulations!”  After a few more seconds, a look of understanding passed on Liz’s face and she exclaimed, “Already?!”  Haha.  Yep, apparently already.  : )  Right then, I felt two little arms around my legs, looked down, and saw Braden!  Mason and Clark came running over as well excitedly greeting Adam and me.  I looked to see where they came from and there were Brian, Alisha, and Nick!  So, we quickly walked over to their table before they could hear Mark and Liz saying their congrats.  I used the same line with them saying, “Is there room for three more?”  They both “got it” right away, smiles abounded, and all this happened before breakfast! 

After mass, we headed over to Laura and Aunt Maureen’s house where we enjoyed an all-day picnic on the back patio and deck.  Fr. Jack, who had married Adam and me in May, even swung by for a minute to say hello and we spontaneously shared the news with him.  This one was the least prepared way of sharing the information as on the spot I tried to come up with something witty/clever in talking about Jack’s interaction with Nick a few minutes prior and how at the next family function in a year perhaps he may have another baby to play with…to which he said, “Wow, that was fast!”  Ha!!!  How funny that a priest’s reaction was the same as Liz’s…already and so fast?!  I would imagine many folks will say/think that as they find out the news even though it was no secret Adam and I were open to anything.  However, even I have to admit that I wasn’t expecting it this soon even though I knew on some level it could possibly happen this way.  It did not escape Jack’s notice that the due date is scheduled for the first day of spring break.  He asked if we knew what actual time the little one would arrive since I’m such a scheduler and all.  I’m sure some of you are laughing as you read that line.  ; )

No comments:

Post a Comment