Friday, March 19, 2021

Romans - what gives?!

At the end of 2020, I kept being called back to scripture from Romans. So much so, that I thought maybe I should make reading it be one of my New Year resolutions. Well, I made it through a day or two before falling off that bandwagon. 

Then during a Women's Bible Study in early 2021, I felt compelled to read it again. I decided for Lent, I would work my way through reading Romans bit by bit each night. I finished a few days ago. 

I am not sure why I was prompted to read this particular part of the Bible. I think I may need to reread it and take notes this time. As I googled questions to go with Romans, I came across this one : What does it mean to go through faith for faith?

This was hard for me to consider after learning some heartbreaking news tonight. I even said to Adam tonight, "Is nothing about our faith sacred anymore?" as I mulled over recent events. We live in such troubled times. So much division separates us from one another. There is so much pain and suffering. 

St. Paul knew a little bit about all those things, too.

We also know this is nothing new based on history (and listening to Fr. Mike's daily Bible in a Year podcasts). 

Yet saints, those who have gone before us, pastors, and others we learn from have preached the importance of holding on to faith.



I have to believe in redemption. 

I have to believe in forgiveness in the face of such anger and betrayal. 

What does it mean to go through faith for faith? Does it mean turning a blind eye to wrongs? Does it mean to be the bigger person and take the high road? Does it mean to still love the sinner while condemning the sin for I, too, am a sinner and whatever I do for the least of my brothers, I do unto Jesus.

Life is so hard. St. Joseph experienced unexpected plot twists and turns yet was a wonderful example of father, husband, and obedient servant in spite of having questions. He must have had tremendous faith. It is his feast day today. 

May we all strive to go through faith for faith even when we have been let down or we let down others. 

Ultimately, only God can satisfy and is the source for all faith. May He forgive us all for our transgressions and all we harm in our brokenness. Mend our broken hearts and heal us, Lord. 

St. Joseph, pray for us.

Don't you just love this image of St. Joseph front and center cradling Baby Jesus in his arms as Mary clings to his hand? What an example of manhood! 


No comments:

Post a Comment