Sunday, September 21, 2014

....And we have six!!!

I just received word that a fascinating project and manuscript I had the honor of helping a mentor with in 2011-2013 was published!  The current issue of the Journal of Deaf Studies and Deaf Education contains our article making it my sixth publication I've had the chance to collaborate on with an awesome mentor.  I learned so much from working with Rachel and we did it from the two coasts as she was based out of California while I was in North Carolina at the time.  Who knows...maybe our working together across the miles and time zones got me ready to do the same with Adam.  ;)  Rachel and I first connected in Austin, TX at the TED conference in November 2011 (my first conference I attended as a PhD student) then were reintroduced to one another that following February at the ACE-DHH conference in Jacksonville, FL where I also got to see Dr. Klein from my undergrad years for the first time in nearly a decade! 

March 2012 found Rachel and me collaborating on the phone and via Skype.  That summer was devoted to helping Rachel with the coding of 5000+ pieces of data through a computer program software called Dedoose that, in turn, really assisted me with acquiring coding and software skills that next prepared me for the following summer as I worked on my own dissertation data in a differing computer software program called NVIVO.  Looking back it's amazing to see God's hand guiding everything as I slowly but steadily acquired the skills and know-how to carry out a study through these new skills/networking opportunities.  The 2012-2013 academic year was spent collaborating together with Rachel on writing the manuscript that you can now read at the below link!!

Not only did I learn a lot about the coding and writing process from Rachel but she's a pretty fantastic & generous person who also loves puppies so all in all it was a terrific experience.  I'm so thankful for the opportunity to have learned from her and to have played a small part in this study.  It is an honor to help spread the results of the work and study Rachel created through our conference presentation at AERA in April 2013 in San Francisco and now through this publication! 

I can't figure out how to upload the file here but if you would like to read the article in its entirely, shoot me an email and I will send you the electronic file.  For now, here is the abstract at the following link.  In browsing the titles of the other articles that were published in the same issue, we cited some of the fellow authors in our article!



Narr, R. F. & Kemmery, M.  (2014).  The nature of parent support provided by parent mentors for families with deaf/hard-of-hearing children: Voices from the start.  Journal of Deaf Studies and Deaf Education, 19, 1-11.  doi:10.1093/deafed/enu029

No comments:

Post a Comment