Saturday, September 20, 2014

Bonus Points Humor

On my exams, I give the students a chance to earn up to five bonus points.  By answering such questions like, "List one way you studied for this exam" or "Spell your professor's name correctly here", students are able to earn "easy" bonus points.  However, the one that always makes me laugh are what they choose to write for the question, "List one random trivia item about your professor here".  What I'm finding most of them are saying this semester is "She's engaged" or "She's getting married in May!" whereas in the past I've read comments like, "She has hearing aids", "You know sign language", or "She used to teach in Pennsylvania and Delaware".  However, on this last round of tests, I was amused by some of the responses that also provide a little insight into where I'm currently working:

"You are housemates with Raquel!" (the perks of working at a small university where indeed everyone does know everyone!)

"You have beautiful blue eyes :) "  (yes, yes, flattery will get you everywhere...ha!)

"She has a friend who's missing an arm but she's functioning well"/"has a friend with one arm"/"You worked with someone who had one arm" (who would have thought that my spontaneous sharing of the success of a colleague in NC to illustrate when inclusion might not be needed in the presence of a disability would have made such an impression?!)

"She has an adorable nephew!  =)" (why yes, yes, I agree they are all adorable!)

"Her eyeshadow always matches her outfits" (Huh?!)

"She's a military brat like me!"

"She has a niece" (and I love her to pieces!!)

"She loves to talk about her nephews :)"

"She accuses her dog of eating her rosary ;)" (oh poor Dusty)

"She has a little puppy"

"She's the friendliest teacher ever and loves the Princess and the Pea" (Aww!!  I hope this student remembers why I acted out the Princess & the Pea...to illustrate scaffolding and working within the child's zone of proximal development!)






...and I'm sorry but by now, as we head into our fifth week of the semester there is no excuse for this one:

List your professor's name spelled correctly here:  "Prof ? "

!!!!


Yes, thank goodness for these little bonus point questions for they have broken up the monotony of grading essay questions 25 times over today.  Thankfully, the grading is complete so on to the next item on the to-do list!  Progress is being made slowly but surely..yay!


No comments:

Post a Comment