Thursday, March 28, 2013

Beauty is all around us...!

Today was such an odd, albeit busy, day for me.

Even though I didn't talk to my parents at all, they weren't far from my mind.  Even though I had work in the morning, then spent the rest of the day dissertating, and even made it to Zumba a tad late, and it seemed like any other Thursday, it wasn't.  I remember on Holy Thursday of years past, when my Dad would participate in the washing of the feet on the altar of St. Joseph's Church down the street from our house.  I remember sitting in the pew and watching as Dad and some other men from our town sat in a big circle as Father Ulincy washed their feet.  How proud I was that MY Dad was up there!  I suppose that subconsciously, while busy all day today, I was remembering that this day was always spent with my family at church.  Now, we're all scattered about the eastern seaboard and yes, we do have texting, Facebook, Skype...but it's just not the same as spending time together in a small mountain church watching your Dad up on the altar.

Easter is almost here.  Tomorrow, on Good Friday, I will try my best to not do as much schoolwork as I usually do (even though Chapter 1 needs rewritten by Saturday afternoon and about a million other things need done).  This might mean that I'll have to stay up past midnight working ahead but I want to slow down and (try to) be still tomorrow.  I am going to play Kim Kalman's "At the Foot of the Cross" as soon as I return to High Point from Winston-Salem.  I'm going to spend extra time in prayer, especially offering up my intentions for those who have asked me to keep them in my prayers or whom I told I would keep in my intentions. I'm going to spend time with the 90 Day Bible reading challenge that I've not been able to do in weeks.  I'm going to sit with Dusty Shamrock and just be.
In the words of one of my favorite saints, St. Francis of Assisi, I hope to be more like an instrument of God's peace...Lord knows we can all stand to improve so this is one of the areas in which I'll concentrate my efforts...

In preparing for Easter this weekend and thinking of all that Jesus sacrificed for us, and reflecting on the last 40 days of Lent, I can't help but think of how cleansing Easter can be.  It's almost like we're brand new again, like a newborn baby.  Thinking about how we are all works of art, I'm reminded of the glass class I went to months ago with my friend, Allison.

I can't help but think of how we are all broken or jagged around the edges just from everyday living.  We get burnt by others or let down...we get worn out...some grow bitter and jaded.


But through the power of God's grace and the love of others, piece by piece, we get put back together again to create a whole new world...



Even though we may not see the finished product or know where we're going, we're getting there!  We begin to take root and are formed by our dreams and hopes!

And the end result is more beautiful than we can even begin to realize!

 This past Lent was a busy one...I didn't do as well with the Lent Marathon game as I had in the past but I definitely spent more time in prayer and reflection in spite of the chaos and hectic pace.  I also let go of some things and some people over the last 40 days.  Today marks the completion of my Novena to St. Joseph (ah!!  Perhaps that is why Dad and the washing of the feet were on my mind today..they took place at St. Joseph's Church!).  I am ready for a fresh new start and look forward to the Easter Vigil Mass this Saturday night!!


 As Angela Faddis reminded us, "Jesus still rose, so in Him we'll trust"....regardless of all that is going on around us.  So, my proposal may not be passed by my committee, or I may miss my layover when flying to San Antonio next week, or I may absolutely run out of money this summer with my last paycheck being on April 30th and my next school paycheck not arriving until September 30th (eeek!!).  Yet Jesus still rose.  So I will trust.  Should any, or all of these things, occur, I will deal with them as they come and cross that bridge when I get to it.  I've come this far....and am not going to get sidetracked now. 










Beautiful Bushkill Falls near the Poconos in PA





































No comments:

Post a Comment