Monday, March 11, 2013

Tools of the Trade


Ah, yesterday was SO refreshing….especially in light of my slew of rather unfortunate dating disasters.
Regarding the latter half of that sentence, as my friend, Jennifer, said…I need a better screening process.  From a man who was blatantly rude about religions outside his to one who felt the need to show me a “Catholic” question he created for a test in a class he teaches that propagated the misconception that all Catholic priests are pedophiles, it’s enough to make a gal want to crawl under a rock and hide.

That is one of the reasons why when the opportunity arose to attend mass with my friends, Lisa, Michael, and their adorable little baby boy yesterday morning I leapt at the chance.  In spite of the time change & getting in from Baltimore late the night before, and the hour commute, I arrived at the church 15 minutes before mass started.  During that time of waiting for Lisa, Michael, and Liam to cross the street from their house, I chatted with a sweet older woman who lives in Lititz with her daughter during the winter since they’re more tolerable than her native Erie.  She was delighted to hear my mother had attended Edinboro University and my little brother had gone to LECOM.  This sweet little woman shared with me how her son-in-law had died unexpectedly on October 1st which made her spending the winter months with her daughter all the more necessary to help her with the grieving process.  What a beautiful gift family is to one another.

Then, during the homily, after hearing the gospel about the Prodigal Son, Fr. O’Blaney reminded us about the power of forgiveness and that it’s hard work.  Yes, it might be easier to harbor feelings of resentment or anger toward those who have wronged or shortchanged us but that is not how we should live our lives.  I suppose the same could also go for spending time with those people we wouldn't normally spend time with....We need to work on forgiving and loving others, even if we don’t agree with them, are hurt by their actions, or they aren't necessarily our favorite people, no?  Shouldn't we offering up our sufferings and be grateful for the chances to grow in these areas as we work toward sanctification?  I also was reminded, during mass yesterday, of the power of second chances.  I know for me, personally, I'm thankful for having had the opportunities to try try try again.  I need to work on using these tools in life:  forgiveness, acceptance, gratefulness, try-it-again-until-succeed-ness. 

As the folks filed out of church after mass, the four of us stuck around in the sanctuary chatting for a bit.  Each time I have been to this church, I have enjoyed it there.  My first memories of St. James are from the planning meeting/Adoration when the Young Adults group was just starting up back in January 2010 and five months later, in May, when we gathered together for the Haiti Benefit Dance.  It was at this dance that I started sharing the news that I was going to make the move to NC.  The last time I had attended a mass in this church was for Lisa and Michael’s wedding in July 2011.  That had been a warm sunshiney day much like yesterday’s.
Such a beautiful family and what beautiful friends they are to me!  Loved little Liam's expression here!!
After leaving St. James, we ran over to Lisa and Michael’s house where I got to snuggle with their gentle Macy dog.  Never have I met a more loving and gentle pup.  She immediately came over and greeted us and snuggled…which warmed the heart.  After a few minutes, it was time to go to lunch so off to Iron Hill Brewery we went.  I had only been to the Iron Hill Brewery in Newcastle/Newark, Delaware 10+ years ago so I was excited to eat there.  The turkey burger, sweet potato fries, and the House Sampler of 8 beers were delicious!!  We ended up chatting for hours at IHB before bidding goodbye to one another.  Time always seems to just FLY BY when I’m with one of my favorite couples.  In the blink of an eye, it seems we go from saying hello to goodbye.

Each time I spend time with Lisa and Michael, I’m renewed in my hope that someday I will have a beautiful little family like theirs.  It was so refreshing to be around a truly joyful and loving Catholic couple.  Michael is every bit a gentleman, whether it’s opening doors for us gals, taking the menus from and carrying them for the pregnant hostess who is seating us, or determining which beers I might best enjoy when ordering (ha!).  Lisa has fully embraced the transition from math teacher to mother in caring for their sweet little boy and Liam is just a delight!  This couple also is inspirational in that they are so REAL.  They aren’t afraid to admit their shortcomings or struggles and are a living and real testimony to an example of what a marriage looks like.  Sometimes I think in today’s society and with the mentality of me, me, me, I must have this/that/everything right this second, take, take, take, and don’t give, that the art of communicating and having an honest but successful marriage can get lost in the shuffle.  Many seem to be quick to buy into the illusion of love and get caught up in the romance of it all but when it comes down to it, every day is not going to be all roses and chocolates.  By the way, I had some INCREDIBLE chocolate the other day, during Uncork York, that involved white chocolate, roasted peanuts, and OLD BAY (!!!).  Do yourself a favor and try the Maryland Bar.  ;)  I foresee this candy as being a useful tool when I buy more and reward myself.  Ha!
 
Little Liam resting on the way to lunch. 
 


He was dressed in the cutest onesie...covered in shamrocks! 


Yes, I very much enjoyed the first half of yesterday that unexpectedly ended up lasting until 4:30pm!  I’m so blessed and fortunate to have strong Catholic friends who are living out the vocation of marriage and serving as role model examples for others. 

The second half of the day involved a spontaneous tour of York College of Pennsylvania on the way home before settling in and revising my interview questions for the pilot study (again) that I’m starting today and working on a draft of Chapter 3 of my dissertation.  Here is a glimpse of my dissertation “tools” that I will be using this week.  I've got Caramal Vanilla Cream coffee complete with a splash of Irish Cream creamer, TWO packs of AAA batteries for the digital recorder I borrowed from school, and my questions printed and ready to go for this afternoon.  Yes, I’m taking no chances! 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment