Tuesday, January 7, 2014

2nd Annual Women's Retreat Weekend

In late June this past summer, thanks to my little brother's extreme generosity of hosting us, the 2nd Annual Women's Retreat Weekend took place.  Yes, I know this happened seven months ago but with life being so busy and dissertating, among other things, I had not found the time to blog about this beautiful weekend experience until now.  Or maybe my mind wants to turn to sunny days on the beach as the majority of the nation faces extremely cold temperatures/winter weather thanks to the polar vortex we currently facing. 

In any event, here is a recap of all that happened during the 2nd Annual Women's Retreat Weekend!



Interestingly enough, only one gal participated in the retreat with me this past year compared to the three who had joined me in the Outer Banks the previous summer.  In the days leading up to the retreat, as many as five to seven others planned to attend as well as some local girls in Delaware but due to 
unexpected family circumstances, 

financial hardships, 

and car problems, only one other gal attended.  

You know what though?  The weekend was still beautiful and fruitful!  Maria and I had a weekend of blessings in spending late night hours talking to each other about anything and everything, enjoying peaceful time at the beach, and strengthening our friendship as we volunteered by donating items to the local shelter (after Patrick and I had volunteered with Habitat for Humanity) and attended mass together followed by a night out at the local Irish pub with my brother and some of his friends.

Another unexpected perk of this weekend was getting to spend time with a colleague who happened to be in nearby Philadelphia for the summer!  Michella made the drive from Philly to Dover to spend the day with me before Maria arrived for the retreat.  Michella is working on her doctorate in Deaf Education, like me, but up in cooooold Michigan.  She is currently collecting data for her dissertation and inspires me with her "go get 'em" attitude and infectious bubbly personality.  I first met Michella online in Fall 2010 when we were starting out our program.  She was a Fellow in the program I had not gained access to but having been invited to participate in an online discussion forum with some of the Fellows, I was able to get to know some of them.  Michella and I met (in person) at a conference in Jacksonville, FL in Spring 2012 then connected again in Santa Fe, NM last February.  Next month we will be presenting on our respective projects at Gallaudet University in DC at our annual conference!  

Thinking back on our visit this past summer, I can't help but think of how had more folks shown up for the Women's Retreat Weekend I might not have been able to get to spend so much time with Michella.  I remember, at the time, thinking that it was so surreal to sit on the beach in Lewes with her discussing our dissertation plans, trading stories from our PhD journeys, and sharing worries about finding jobs after graduation where ten years prior, I had sat on that same sand as a first year teacher fresh out of college and just starting out in our teaching profession.  Had you told me then that someday within ten years I would come back and be on the brink of becoming a college professor and chatting with a colleague who had spent time in Hawaii, I probably would have asked if you were joking.  Funny how life works out don't you think?!




Maria and I loved attending mass at my brother's church.  This is also the church I went to as a child when my family lived in Dover, DE years ago...!


Nassau Valley Vineyards ~ we sure did enjoy the blueberry wine!!  YUM!



Sporting my new shirt for the 2nd Annual Women's Retreat Weekend!  I wonder where we will go next year?!

No comments:

Post a Comment