Thursday, January 9, 2014

One of my favorite cities in NC!

My friend, Melanie, flew down to see me last summer.  She flew in and the next morning we hit the road.  We made the the 3 hour trek west to one of my favorite cities in NC:  Asheville!  I had never heard of this gem of a city until I moved to NC for school.  When I first learned of this city, it was associated with the majestic Biltmore Home.  I've been lucky enough to visit this mansion (that word does not do this home justice) three times.  The first time I went was with my friend, Kevin, around Christmas time during my first winter down here back in December 2010.  The second time I had the chance to visit this home was the following February when Laura and I went for her first visit and my second.  Both of those times were day trips where we drove to Asheville, explored Biltmore, then turned around and returned to High Point.

The third time I visited this majestic and beautiful place was this past summer with Melanie.  It had also been her first time but honestly, no matter how many times you go, there is always something to see there!  Summer 2012 also had me in Asheville for many quick visits but not to see the Biltmore.  Instead, my friend, Doris, and I spent the summer chasing our hot air balloon ride that took place in Asheville.  We finally realized that dream after a few tries.  What a cool experience that was!!

So, yes, Asheville has so much more to offer than *just* the Biltmore Estate.

Do yourself a favor and go visit this gem of a city if you can.  There is something for everyone from the eclectic art lover, to the experimental eater, to feeling a sense of being tucked away in the mountains.  I'm thankful for my time here in NC and for it leading to the discovery and love of a city who's motto is, "Where normal is weird". 

Melanie had landed on Tuesday afternoon and was on a plane back home to PA by Friday morning.  In the short time that she was here, we squeezed in a walking tour while in Asheville in which we learned the "lay of the land" and interesting facts about Asheville. Then we did an Eating Tour in the afternoon.  This was definitely a highlight of the trip and I wouldn't mind doing it again, both in Asheville and in other cities!!


We spent time in the The Grove Arcade which encompasses the entire block and enjoyed some window shopping!  We checked out the local art that is everywhere and managed to try free samples at the fudge shop.  ; )

The next day was spent at Biltmore Estate and I finally got to see the gardens!!!  What an awesome Asheville trip this was!

















Check out the gargoyles!




All of these were chocolates!  Everything in this case was edible, including the "sand".










 




I loved how dog-friendly Asheville is!






























































































My souvenir from Asheville this time was the peacock feather in a glass ball hanging to the right on my tree in this photo.











No comments:

Post a Comment