Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Ten days and counting!

Only ten days remain until the big day.....my dissertation defense!

I could potentially walk out of the doors as Dr. Meg after working on this goal since August 2010.  Whew!!!

I submitted my 339 page dissertation to the committee on 01/03 so they have had it for 11 days now.  I did a quick practice run in the room yesterday morning with my advisor to check on the font and colors.  I also have to share with you how two sweet friends really came through for me regarding the dissertation and nerves that remain these last few days before the defense.  

Last week, I received this unexpected text from a friend: 

Good morning!  Thinking of you with your defense coming up.  Prayers for you!  If you want to pray together at Maryfield on any lunch break before your defense, just let me know. :)

How sweet and unexpected was this text was as I was in the middle of a work meeting dealing with a history project when I received this.  We set a date for today and met for 30 minutes and prayed at the chapel during our lunch breaks today.  What a peaceful encounter it was and I'm so thankful for Colleen's suggestion.

The other week, while still bedridden from being so sick, another friend emailed me saying if I needed to practice my defense that she would be more than willing to listen.  Really???  She was voluntarily signing up for an hour (or more) of listening to me ramble about research?  

I'm blessed beyond measure indeed.

So, last night, after Deb got off work, she met me at my work.  The room we needed wasn't available for another 30 minutes so what does Deb do?  She offers to help me with cutting of lamination.  SO sweet!  Then, shortly after 4, we let ourselves into the room where I will be defending in a little over 9 days (since only a couple hours remain of the tenth day).  Deb listened for 48 minutes as I went through the presentation and her thought-provoking questions at the end helped me to make my presentation stronger.  I felt relief at having been able to go through one round of the defense in the actual room so I feel better prepared.  Sure, I'll practice one or two more times in the next week but it won't be the same as when I was in the actual room thanks to Deb.

I've said it before and I'll say it again:  They say it takes a village and indeed, no one can go it alone.  Thank goodness for the kindness of friends, and of course family, who help you through life's ups and downs.  

Let's hope I can remember all the information from the 339 page dissertation and over a year of researching and writing on the 24th when I defend!!

No comments:

Post a Comment