Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Go in Peace

My Mom told me a story yesterday morning as I drove to Burlington for a work meeting.  It's a painful one and I wish so badly it were not happening to a dear family friend (or to anyone for that matter) but it is. 

Jack, a Jesuit priest in Boston and a family friend, is taking care of his ailing parents.  He's an only child but we have "adopted" him as one of our own in my family.  We met him through my Aunt Maureen years ago when he first became a priest and since then he has been there for us through thick and thin. 

When my parents renewed their vows in Rhode Island, he officiated.  When my older brother and sister-in-law got married in Pennsylvania, he married them in only the way Jack could do it.  When I was in need of some serious spiritual direction/counseling over the years, Jack has been there at the drop of a hat.  Quick to email, share a joke, provide words of wisdom/reassurance, yet also shine the light on the truth, Jack covers it all.

I pray and hope that when I get married some day, he will be available to preside at my wedding.

Jack has helped hundreds of, if not more, people through his ministry, humor, and overall wonderfulness. 

So, yesterday's story was hard to hear as I drove to my meeting.  The melancholic rain down here in North Carolina matched Mom's somber tone up in Pennsylvania as she shared with me that Jack's beloved mother is battling both lung cancer and bone cancer and she recently has moved to hospice care in Massachusetts, an hour from where Jack's father lives, who's health is also on the decline from heart ailments.  The other night, when Jack was sitting with his mother, he asked her if she would like a bowl of ice cream.  She perked up and said yes so Jack got a bowl of ice cream and when he went to hand it to her, heard a loud cracking sound.  Jack's mother's arm broke just from reaching out for that bowl of ice cream.  The doctors are unable to put on a cast or do anything for these bones that are breaking. 

How helpless Jack and others must feel in not being able to do anything to lessen the pain.  My eyes are tearing up just now as I think about it and recall the last time I saw Jack's parents.  My best friend from 8th grade through 12th grade, Meredith, and I had driven up to Massachusetts for New Year's Eve.  My Aunt Maureen hosted a small dinner party to celebrate.  Jack and his parents were there and oh what a lovely couple his father and mother made.  Though they had been married for many many years, they acted like it was the first day they fell in love.  I can only hope to have a steadfast and long lasting love like that someday.  Mr. Butler's humor was only surpassed by Mrs. Butler's beauty as the two shared stories and laughs with those of us sitting at their feet and around the cozy living room that cold winter night.

I emailed Jack last night not expecting to hear back from him any time soon since he's dealing with so much right now.  However, leave it to him to respond quickly and to provide words of comfort to me when that was my intent in emailing him!  If you have a minute, please pray and keep the Butler family in your prayers.  God works in mysterious ways and we still need to trust. 

"The steps of faith fall on the seeming void and find the rock beneath.." - Walt Whitman ♥
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Megan,

It brought and brings me great comfort! Thanks for the thought, prayer and support. It is in the kindness of these phone calls, emails and gestures that God, who is love, is manifested. Mom is at the end, her strength, faith, courage and intellect throughout this whole ordeal has been truly amazing! I have a strong sense you are the same kind of woman!

Thanks again,
Jack 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As I was finishing this blog, at 9:20am, I got the message that Jack's mother passed away about an hour ago.  Heaven just got another angel and may Mrs. Butler enjoy all the ice cream she wants now!




No comments:

Post a Comment