Monday, December 8, 2014

Extra Credit Insights

I just finished grading a stack of finals for one of my classes.  This time, two bonus questions included:

List one thing you have learned (in any of your classes) this past semester that will help you in your professional career or in your personal life.

&
 
Share one thing you were most surprised to learn about inclusive early childhood from taking this class.
~~~~~~~~~~~~

I enjoyed the responses and was humbled at some.  Below are just a smattering of responses.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
I had my first field experience so I learned that I really do want to be a teacher!
I learned more about special education in an early childhood setting than I thought I would.
I learned that self-esteem affects literacy and literacy affects self-esteem.
I was surprised to learn that peers play such a big role in the education of a student with special needs.  Peers can be buddies to students with special needs.  Pairing up students can be beneficial.
I have learned the importance of planning and time management and that I need to work on those things to get better and be more prepared in the future especially with regard to my personal future career.
I was surprised to learn about how many variations of programs there are available to help in inclusive childhood settings!  There is so much good that can be done and so many opportunities for us to learn more and to be able to better serve others.
I was surprised to learn about what the mother (and family) goes through when first learned the child has a disability and how life is changed but a blessing.
I learned that not all parents want a least restrictive environment (LRE) for their child but rather a most effective environment to allow for maximum learning.
The amount of research and modifications that are available to resource teachers is immense and still growing.  There are many ways to help all students learn and grow.  The appropriate one must be found for each individual though.
I have learned how important good communication is between you and your students and also the parents.
I was surprised at how many methods there were for helping children with autism communicate with the world around them.
I was surprised that we learned about the different stages of pregnancy and the growth of the baby in the womb.
Inclusion is becoming more popular and I need to be prepared to attend to the needs of all students.
I learned about classroom management and how to reinforce positive behavior.
It takes a lot of patience and work to be efficient in this field.
I have learned the importance of active listening and this is already impacting my personal life.
I was surprised to learn about the field of early intervention.  I hadn't realized it existed before this class.
Focusing on the family as the experts.
In my Christian Marriage class, I learned that one's vocation is not some abstract concept to grasp but rather it is inside of us and we need to discover who God has created us to be through intentional self-discovery and continued conversion.
Students with special needs are mainstreamed more often than I had realized.
I learned to have high expectations of my students.  If they see as a teacher I don't believe in their ability they won't either.
I was most surprised to learn of the role of the parents and how pivotal they really are to the progress.  I guess I figured the "professionals" just made all the decisions, instructing the parents of what to do.  I didn't realize the wants and needs of the parents and family played such a huge role.
The importance of the family in a child's life.
I was surprised by the hardships parents often face when trying to get special education services for their children.
I was most surprised about autism because I've only known a little bit about it but to see the structure of how to help them learn, how they feel, how the parents feel...that brought me great insight.
That so much of teaching is family centered.
That I want to work in this field.  :)  I also learned the interventions start at infant and toddler age!
I learned an overwhelming amount in ethics.  I especially learned about utilitarianism and the replacability theory.  We aren't a means to an end and we should not let anyone treat us like we are.
I was most surprised to learn from our guest speaker and just witness her life and joy.  I also learned how to be a better listener through active listening.
Make a connection before correction.  This will help build relationships with students.
Not all students want/feel comfortable in inclusive environments.
Having your students' respect will help your classroom run a lot smoother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


No comments:

Post a Comment