Sunday, December 7, 2014

Traveling throughout life

Last Sunday I made my way back to Ohio from my parents' home in Pennsylvania.  As I drove west on the turnpike and saw one college kid after another driving as well as all the families at the rest stops, memories of other trips that were made crossed my mind.

I can't count the number of times my Dad drove me out to college then returned home on the same day.  Due to not having a car, it was necessary for Dad to make the 3.5 hour one way trip twice to pick me up or drop me off then return home so he could go to work the next day.  Back then, I had taken it for granted and not really considered the length of time (nor cost of gas) Dad spent on these trips.  I'm so thankful to have grown up with such a selfless man for a father.  Some of my fondest childhood memories involve our family trips in the Astro or in the big blue van as we traveled from one state to another to celebrate various holidays with family.

It was quite lonely last Sunday night as I traveled in my little car by myself without my little pup at my side.  He had been left behind at my parents' home due to my going to CA for the first part of the holidays before Adam's and my big cross country road trip!!  All week, when home, I've been listening for the pitter patter of his feet or waiting for him to jump into my lap as I type and I even miss his impatiently barking he sometimes engages in when reminding me of his supper time.  Each time I turn the key in the door, I hesitate and wait for his loveable greeting as he rounds the corner and runs/slides to the front door, but instead only silence greets me.  I know Dusty Shamrock is having a grand time with his grandparents and enjoyed some doggie time with Kona and Max but oh, how I miss that little pup!

Adam, having gone through something similar himself (on a far grander scale), can relate and sent me this cute video the other day. How blessed to have found my traveling buddy for life in this man who knows how to put a smile on my face!


No comments:

Post a Comment