Thursday, December 11, 2014

Grateful challenges

Yesterday was SUCH a hard day.  Several students were upset with their grades on a semester long project when I returned the graded work after their finals.  One was in tears in my office and said some pretty awful things and another sent me a three paragraph long email and those were just two who reached out to me.  Who knows what the others, who didn't email me, are saying/thinking.  However, I'm not here to win a popularity contest and I have to trust/hope that they grow from their mistakes and next time will do better.  I am also growing by leaps and bounds with each assignment, lecture, and instance I encounter in my teaching as well.  I have already implemented a multitude of changes for when I assign this project next semester. 

I know in the grand scheme of things, this is just a blip on the radar screen but I hate to think that people are upset with me or not satisfied with the outcome of something I'm involved with...however, tough love will cause you to not be the favorite person at times.  I also am extra grateful for the affirming words I received from others such as,

"Thank you for everything Dr. K!  This class was wonderful and your love and passion for teaching is contagious.  :)"

Why is it that we tend to focus on the dark time or the negatives when there is, in fact, so much light around us?  I need to work on embracing the positives rather than dwelling on the negatives...and am SO glad that the semester is nearly over...I think we could all use a break and time to recharge our batteries!



No comments:

Post a Comment