Thursday, June 25, 2015

Mason Jar Reminders

This past week, at VBS, there was talk about canning.  I have never canned a day in my life but when I think of the process, I think of mason jars.  Thinking of mason jars reminds me that this time last summer I was elbow deep in making decorations for the wedding that seemed a far ways off....it is hard to believe we're already a month into our marriage!  As I think back to the blur that was our wedding reception, it is fun to relive the memories of creating some of the decorations.  These colorful mason jars were worth the surprise discovery in finding them for I had planned on buying regular clear mason jars and burlap since I had wanted a country rustic natural earthy chic decor for the reception in spite of it being held at a country club style type of resort.  However, Mom and Dad found these better than I could have hoped for bright jars after babysitting my two nephews one summer night when they stopped by a Michael's in Carlisle.  Mom called me asking if she and Dad should pick up the jars after describing them to me over the phone.  I said go for it and was delighted when they came home with these delightful jars.  The added bonus was that I was able to use the leftover sparkly ribbon from the bouquets, boutineers, and survival kit bags I had made.  They seemed made for the jars and admittedly this twist on the natural country decor look I was originally going for were a better fit to my personal style!  It's no secret I'm a fan of sparkles and color.  ; )

Next, I needed sand to help anchor the flowers in the jar so my little brother, Patrick, spent some time driving to a beach in Delaware and scooping up sand that he brought with him the next time he came home to our parents' house.  The sand did the trick as I inserted the fabric flowers & butterflies in each jar.  These I bought from one of my new favorite stores in Schuylkill County called, S & J Gift Outlet.  I had never been in this store but had driven by it a bazillion times when in Pottsville.  My mom and I actually stumbled into it by accident one day early last summer.  We had just left my ear doctor's office after talking with my audiologist, Kay.  She had asked how the wedding plans were going and about the flowers.  I explained that I was thinking about making the bouquets and boutineers due to our limited budget but that I was intimidated since I had not really been a Do It Yourselfer for anything like this and it seemed an impossible task.  She recommended I go to "Pod & Petal" - a small florist that was nearby and known for creative floral arrangements yet reasonable prices.  However, when Mom and I got there, we found a sign on the door saying that the owner would return in 45 minutes.  We figured we would wait and decided to wander into the shop next door and boy am I glad we did!!  We found all sorts of beautiful fabric flowers, bird cages, home decor, scarves, fabric butterflies, jewelry, candles, and other sparkly decorations.  It was while browsing the items in this store and talking with the helpful clerk that my mind was made up I would definitely tackle creating homemade decorations and possibly the bouquets.  Upon checkout, we discovered there was a military discount!  We purchased beautiful fabric flowers for the mason jar decorations at such a great price!!!

The final touch to the decorations were to add pieces of scripture that resonated with Adam's and my courtship, relationship, and previous personal experiences leading up to when we met.  The end result was a set of seven colorful, sparkly, and I hope eye-catching decorations that were placed throughout the reception room and are currently placed throughout our home.  I hadn't planned that (since there was no home to think about decorating last year!) but like to think of it as the mason jars serving as visual reminders that a little piece of our wedding day is here with us in everyday life.













No comments:

Post a Comment