Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Have you had YOUR fasnacht today??

I didn't know until I moved to NC for school that not everyone celebrates Fat Tuesday/Mardi Gras by eating donuts.  I didn't realize this was mainly a Pennyslvania Dutch tradition until I left my beloved state.

Fortunately, the first year down here, my family and a friend and I went to IHM for a Mardi Gras celebration where there was a feast of King Cake (my first one) and all sorts of yummy food.  I honestly can't recall if there were donuts there or not!

Then, last year, Theology on Tap fell on Mardi Gras so a friend picked up some donuts from Krispy Kreme for me on the way to the Irish pub where ToT was being held.  However, we were told we couldn't bring in our delicious donuts for the folks to snack on after dinner.  So on the way out, Kevin distributed donuts from his car.  By the time I made it out to the parking lot, everyone had left and I had not had my traditional donut.  So, what's a Pennsylvania gal to do when no donuts are to be found...??


I went to Krispy Kreme on the way home and bought donuts for my brother, sister-in-law, and me to feast on before Lent started the next day.  ;)


Soooo, inquiring minds wanna know...have you had your fasnacht today?  If IHM doesn't have donuts at the Mardi Gras celebration tonight, I just might have to do a Krispy Kreme drive-by on the way home!

No comments:

Post a Comment